Advice on New England Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Long-time lurker, but this is my first major post. My wife and I are relatively new to diving, with 8 dives each, but we absolutely love the hobby. We both have basic open water and nitrox certifications. So far, we’ve mainly been diving in South Florida and Mexico, but we live in Boston. We're considering diving in and around Boston to explore the hobby further, practice more regularly, and make the most of the gear we’ve invested in (BCD, regulator, etc.).

I know that temperature is one of the biggest concerns. We have 5mm gloves, boots, and 7mm hoods, and I would likely rent a 7mm suit.

We're also a bit nervous about the lack of an in-water dive master and the relatively poor visibility compared to more tropical waters. While I’m sure we can manage without an in-water dive master, it has been a reassuring safety net in other locations.

What are your recommendations and advice for first-time New England divers? Any tips on locations, companies, or other useful information would be greatly appreciated.

Call local shops and ask them about nearby easy shore dive sites. I know folly cove is a popular shore diving spot up that way. Talk to shops or make sure to read the "hazards" section for what conditions are easiest to dive a given site.

Take things nice and slow/easy, keep the dives short and shallow, and build comfort diving in new england conditions. Go out with an expectation that you'll do a couple short & easy dives and then enjoy a nice lunch or dinner in town. Arrive early enough before slack tide that you can gear up super slow and aren't rushed.

I'm a fan of coves for a diver's first few shore dives in new england. A basic in/out compass heading is all you need, and usually you can just stick to one side of the cove out/back in for extremely simple navigation.

There are some charters in the area (Gloucester), but personally I'd stick to easy shore diving until you're comfortable in the colder, lower viz water. It can be intimidating to dive off a boat in new england if you aren't comfortable up here.

Cape Ann has some good near Boston diving. The water is pretty cool, but 7mm will get you through it okay. Rockport has a few easy dives that consistently have good conditions (15-25' visibility). Back Beach and Front Beach are pretty popular, easy dives ( have not done them, but I hear they do a lot of classes and have convenient parking). Old Garden Beach is a pretty easy site, also, with lots to look at. There are a lot of divers around that can give you helpful tips.

Check out the New England Scuba Divers Group on Face Book.

iDive New England will have event and descriptions of local dives spots.

Agree with what Moerae and CT-Rich have said. With regard to your comment about lack of having an in-water dive master, if you contact any of the (few) remaining dive shops in the area they would, for a fee, be able to arrange for one of their dive masters to accompany you on local shore dive(s). They would acquaint you with local shore diving locations and their conditions. From my experience most of the area's shore diving is done north of Boston.

If you're diving wet you'll definitely want a 7mm (or greater) wetsuit thickness, a good hood with at least 5 mm thickness (preferably attached to the wetsuit), warm gloves which don't significantly impede dexterity, and boots with hard soles (for scrambling over rocks during entry and exit). Other than adapting to the much colder water temperature of New England diving I believe the most challenging adaptations you'll need to make are (1) the difficulty of finding acceptable shore access, and (2) finding parking nearby the chosen shore access.

Call local shops and ask them about nearby easy shore dive sites. I know folly cove is a popular shore diving spot up that way. Talk to shops or make sure to read the "hazards" section for what conditions are easiest to dive a given site.

Take things nice and slow/easy, keep the dives short and shallow, and build comfort diving in new england conditions. Go out with an expectation that you'll do a couple short & easy dives and then enjoy a nice lunch or dinner in town. Arrive early enough before slack tide that you can gear up super slow and aren't rushed.

I'm a fan of coves for a diver's first few shore dives in new england. A basic in/out compass heading is all you need, and usually you can just stick to one side of the cove out/back in for extremely simple navigation.

There are some charters in the area (Gloucester), but personally I'd stick to easy shore diving until you're comfortable in the colder, lower viz water. It can be intimidating to dive off a boat in new england if you aren't comfortable up here.
Folly is an excellent site, but the entry is tough on the ankles. The beach is mostly large cobble and walking in with gear can be hairy.

The Metrowest Dive Club has weekly dives on Cape Ann. They meet up every Saturday at 8am and welcome new divers. Might be nice to dive with a group until you feel more comfortable.
East Coast Divers website has some good descriptions of local dive sites if/when you want to try to dive on your own.
My daughter and I did our first local dive at Old Garden Beach last August with a guide. We also live in the Boston area and had only dived in Mexico before that (@ 17 dives each). We arranged a guided shore dive through East Coast Divers in Brookline. It was really nice to start out with a guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom