Need some Coz hotel advice, pls.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I almost hate to ask, because it has all been said before, but I would sure appreciate some help. It looks like my wife and I may be able to get to Cozumel for a few days in June. Haven't been to Coz in a few years.

We have in the past stayed at the big places south of town for no particular reason, but were thinking of staying in/close to town so we could walk around in the evenings, minimize taxi rides to our favorite restaurants, etc.

I was thinking that either Casa del Mar or Casa Mexicana sound nice and would like input from those who know. Other suggestions welcome as well.

We want to be close to a pier for pickups, with nice rooms with a sea view, and preferably a good onsite or really close restaurant for breakfast before dives.

It would be nice to have a pleasant place for lounging when not diving. This is not a huge priority, though, and a pool itself isn't important

Shore diving not important this trip.

Could also go back to Fiesta Americana...rooms were nice, breakfast was fine, shorter boat ride, but a taxi every night...

Sadly, we need wifi, at least in the lobby.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Looking forward to going back to Coz...it will be fun.

You might look at Vista del Mar. That's the only place I've stayed that was in town. It has a top deck with nice views, all the rooms are ocean facing I believe, and the higher up you are the better the view. We stayed on the 4th floor and it was a lot of fun to hang out on the balcony and watch the crowd going by in the afternoons.

There is a small, frigid pool with no view whatsoever so you can pretty much write that off.

The rooms are very nice, and if you close the storm shutters at night it is very quiet in the room and even though I'm a very light sleeper the street noise didn't bother me. Without the storm shutters closed it was way too loud for me to sleep.

There are many piers out front but my dive op doesn't come that far north for pickups so I drove to the Caleta every day. I did see Aldora (I think) picking up every day right across the street. Check with your dive op.

Low end but right on the water is the Barracuda, nicer & on the water Blue Angel, but it's a longer walk. Hotel Cozumel might work & it does have ocean view rooms & if you want one get the 3rd floor. Casa Del Mar will work but you'll need taxis for trips to town. Villablanca might work too (it's just a bit up the street from Blue Angel).

photos that might help are here.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

If you want to stay right in town,I would recommend Casa Mexicana,Bahia Suites or Colonial Suites in that order.All three are owned by the same group and breakfast is included at casa Mecicana at no extra charge.
Bahia is clean and run by a great bunch of people.Rooms are large with a king and double bed,small kitchen and fridge.balcony can be had for extra 5 dollars and I believe oceanfront with balcony is extra 12.00 per night.Colonial is right off the square on 5th,and is a close comparison to Bahia.
Casa is by far the nicest but it really depends what you are looking for in a room.I have stayed in all 3 and like the Bahia best.I will be there with my grandson in June for 9 nights.

I almost hate to ask, because it has all been said before, but I would sure appreciate some help. It looks like my wife and I may be able to get to Cozumel for a few days in June. Haven't been to Coz in a few years.

We have in the past stayed at the big places south of town for no particular reason, but were thinking of staying in/close to town so we could walk around in the evenings, minimize taxi rides to our favorite restaurants, etc.

I was thinking that either Casa del Mar or Casa Mexicana sound nice and would like input from those who know. Other suggestions welcome as well.

We want to be close to a pier for pickups, with nice rooms with a sea view, and preferably a good onsite or really close restaurant for breakfast before dives.

It would be nice to have a pleasant place for lounging when not diving. This is not a huge priority, though, and a pool itself isn't important

Could also go back to Fiesta Americana...rooms were nice, breakfast was fine, shorter boat ride, but a taxi every night...

You could join Scubaboard's Cozumel invasion June 12-19

Its a great package and you could meet members from all over the country, Canada and Europe. We have over 70 folks signed up so far.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...61018-scubaboard-invades-cozumel-package.html

Hope to see you there

Try here:
Untitled Document
Meets most of your requirements except the ocean view (but they are putting in a pool), great breakfast right around the corner and up the block at Girasoles and there's a bakery near there, too, quiet but right in the middle of everything.

Were in the same boat as you, so to speak. We've narrowed it down to Hotel Cozumel. Stayed there years ago when it was the Fiesta Inn. It meets all your requirements,though the ocean view rooms are limited in number and not a great ocean view compared to others.
FYI
Casa Del Mar is a taxi ride, just shorter than Fiesta Americana
Fiesta Americana just recently went all inclusive, bummer
Casa Mexicana is a nice hotel building. But totally lacks any place for "lounging when not diving" other than a lobby area. Think of a hotel in an city / urban street setting.

Good luck, maybe see you there in June if your in the first two weeks.

Rich

Another recommendation would be Hotel Flamingo if you are looking for a nice place to lounge after diving.Stayed there about 6 or 7 years ago and they have a great rooftop palapa.I dove with the owner a couple of years ago he he told me they had remodeled all the rooms.

Hi jd950; Thanks for listing what you are looking for. Having an idea of your interests surely does help with recommendations. Considering your needs, as others have mentioned, Casa Mexicana as well as Vista del Mar comes to mind.

Vista del Mar has oceanview rooms as well as non-ocean view rooms. No elevators and wi fi on each floors lobby area. The easiest and best connection at the time was actually linked to Casa Mexicana next door. DH said it worked well enough for him to check in with work. With only 4 floors the hike up is not too bad, plus there have always been porters to help with the heavy stuff. VDM serves very nice breakfast tray of fruit, juice, pastries and coffee are brought to your room every morning. We arranged the service for around 7 AM and enjoyed it while we prepared for the diving day. The non ocean view room overlook a quaint alcove/alley of various shops. It also overlooks the pool which is about 3 feet deep. It is not necessarily a swimming pool, but it is a fun place to cool off on a hot day and also people watch as the tourists come and go from the market area. Michael and I stayed on the 4th floor, center ocean view room . The room was clean and had all the necessary items including a small fridge. The balcony was nice to have to sit out there and watch the boat and street activity. There was some street noise, however, honestly not overwhelming. Once the traffic stopped in the evening it actually got rather quiet until the morning as everyone was on their way to work or going out to dive. Our dive op, Blue XT SEA diving picks up at the pier located about 2 blocks north. It is a very easy walk. Other dive ops pick up there as well.

Casa Mexicana has the same access to diving as Vista del Mar. I have not stayed at CM, however did tour the facility and rooms. The ocean view rooms are nice and have more light. I do know many people who have stayed there and like it very much. There is elevator service. I also seem to recall that the escalator from the street is working again..however, hopefully someone can confirm. CM does offer a fantastic breakfast buffet. It has all the standards, plus other awesome selections. The pool is shallow and on a covered deck which is set in the front of the building overlooking the street. It is also a wading type pool and somewhat less appealing than the VDM pool.

The third place I have in mind is Villa Escondida, Bed and Breakfast. Although, this property does not meet your ocean view request, it is however unique, in town, and walking distance to everywhere. It is on Avenida 10 between 3rd and Rosado Salas. It is located across the street from La Choza. It is very private, only 4 rooms, adult only and quiet. An amazing full breakfast is prepared every morning by the hostess Magda. Crepes, omelets, fruit, pastries, yogurt, juice, coffee. The presentation is so beautiful you don't want to eat it ! The property also has a meticulously well maintained pool., a shared full size fridge to keep your own refreshments and snacks. There are no telephones or TV in the rooms, however, the hosts are happy to give access to the house phone if needed. To get to the town pier it is a very easy walk. Make a left out the front door, a right at the corner and then 2 blocks to Melgar. It is a perfect walk to get the day started. Check out Tripadvisor for travel reviews.

Oh, and BTW, keep in mind that Orbitz has their 200ENTERTAIN code for a 7 day package stay as well as a 50ENTERTAIN code for a 3-7 day package deal available for booking until March 31 for travel through DEC 31 2011

Regardless of where you end up at, please do have a fantastic time and happy diving ! Sue

Last edited:
My vote, considering value is the Bahia Suites. Big rooms, kitchenettes, steps to the dock. Back in the few years when I did not have a place of my own, that is where I stayed and I was never on a budget.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom