Need recommendations for personal gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the same boat of buying new starter gear, and even though I bought some of it online (for massive pricing reasons.) I at least tried on and purchased my mask in person. My wife did the same, and we're glad she did. It took her quite awhile to settle on a mask that was comfortable and sealed well.

I usually skip over teh prevebial "help me pick my gear" posts because everyone has a different opinion, but the original poster seems to be pretty up on what they need.

Fins: most SCUBA divers use fins that have an adjustable strap across the back of the foot because they are made to be used with wet suit booties. Unless you are in the tropics (i.e. Florida or the Bahamas) you will need to wear a wet suit for your dives. Get a pair of booties that are snug, but not tight. Then try on fins with those booties. Hard soles on the booties like tennis shoes will require you to get a fin with a larger foot pocket. I prefer booties without hard soles because they act more like socks in the fin, but they are hard to find.

Thanks for the replies. I never got to try out the mask and snorkel because the pool that I went to had a rule that you could not use masks or snorkels, but the mask seems to have a really good fit. One day this week I am going to go and buy some boots and then from there I can buy some fins.

Thanks for the replies. I never got to try out the mask and snorkel because the pool that I went to had a rule that you could not use masks or snorkels, but the mask seems to have a really good fit. One day this week I am going to go and buy some boots and then from there I can buy some fins.

Sounds like you are on the right path. If the mask was comfortable and sealed well in the store, it will probably be just fine in the water.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks for the reply. I went to try out some masks yesterday. For scuba diving I was told to look for a mask that had tempered glass lenses and I was told because I couldn't try the mask out in actual water that if I put the mask up to my face and inhaled, if it suctioned to my face than it would fit. I did this with all of the masks and then narrowed it down to which mask I could see the best out of and felt best(and was reasonably priced). I'm going to the pool today to practice snorkeling and see if the mask works well and when I was in Cancun I did a discover scuba so I'm going to practice mask clearing. I have one more question, when snorkeling does the snorkel go on the right side of your face or the left side? I'm right handed if that matters. I already know how to snorkel I just never thought their was an actual correct way to do it. Thank you

IMO, you're putting the cart before the horse........Take your classes & 99.9% of all your questions will be answered--in the form of knowledge learned in proper scuba diving....good luck & enjoy the UW world after completion of your classes.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom