Hi from SoCal! Gear questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everybody for such thoughtful and thorough responses to my beginner post, really makes me feel welcome.

Penn - haha thanks. trying to keep my bin of dusty crap to a minimum. paradoxically, if I find diving too much logistical work, I probably will still get a lot of use out of a mask, fins, and snorkel for bothering fish without the tank.

Chavo - yes, planning to dive locally, at least to start. I love the Santa Monica Bay! I’ve been happily swimming in the ocean until my lips turned blue. When I’ve been skiing, I have had perennially frosty fingers and toes. If 5mm keeps you cozy in frigid Carmel, then 5mm is probably the max thickness glove that I’ll need down here.

Rob, Cthippo - noted that socks are worth the spend. Having spent some time in ski boots, I’m not eager to torture my feet in the summers, too.

Eric - thanks for the store recommendation! I’ll check them out when I’m next down there.

runsongas- thanks for the pricing advice.

Sounds like #1 item is the mask, which I should try on with the reg in my mouth for fit. After that, there’s a couple models of fins that are widely liked unless you have nonstandard feet, gloves are “whatever’s warm and puncture-proof,” snorkels and boots are commodities, and socks are worth it.

(Edit: hit post too soon, plus formatting cleanup.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom