Shoes vs booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have these Poseidon "Chuck Taylor" like booties in red for 5 years and like them, use them in warm waters, probably 200 dives now, without any single problem at that time including insole.
Do they drain?

I have a pair of the Poseidon “chucks.” I would describe them as closer to a bootie than an actual chuck. That said, I have never had any issues with them other than they run small.

I bought these…the insole sucks. Made of paper/cardboard/something that dissolves in water….disintegrated after a couple dives and I had to find a replacement “plastic” type insole. Just be aware.
Same here, love the shoes, the cellulose padding under the insoles starts to deteriorate after a week of diving when they never quite get fully dried out. I remove the standard insoles, scraped out the cellulose under the insoles and replaced them with these.

Other than the insole replacement, I see these standing up a bit better over time versus canvas chuck taylors, and the neoprene adds a little cushion and warmth. Either option should work fine for any normal use with any normal foot pocket fin.

I only wear those posiedon shoes for caribbean diving with thin lycra sock liners. For drysuit diving with built-in thicker neoprene socks, I use those Altama Maritime Mid shoes that were mentioned above, sized up one size and in a wide, insoles removed. They work great with larger jet-type fins and are great for climbing down rocks in tricky entries without the shear bulk of traditional "rock boots". You can buy the Altama shoes directly from the manufacturer at original footwear co, and if you poke around a little bit can usually find a coupon code that gets them delivered to your door cheaper than amazon.

and replaced them with these.
Those are awesome, and the holes can be burned through to make them drainable. Best is that they are Gator colors!

You can also search out canyoneering boots. They are for hiking in water filled canyons.
This is why threads like this are so awesome. Thanks for the input.

I have a pair of 3mm Henderson instadry boots I have used for about 12 years. While the don’t completely dry between dives on a live aboard, pretty close. Unfortunately, Henderson no longer makes them. I have had to patch them a few times, but I have not found another boot that fits as well both my feet and fins. So far I have not found a boot that fits my feet and fins the same way my current boots do.

I’ve used Botach with good results. Got my first set to test out and bought another two as future replacements.

Botach
My bad if I wasn’t clear enough on the deal. I’m not affiliated but if you want to try the Altama OTB, Botach has them for around $30ish and shipping. I got two with some extra gear to save on shipping (holiday sale).

As far as use, they fit my Scubapro Jet Fins and Deep Six Eddy's and they’re great to walk around in. I also wear nylon dress socks and they drain well. They’re easy to clean as I just rinse them out and pull out the soles to dry. Best wishes on the search!

Back
Top Bottom