Need Advice on BCD for Blackwater, Swift river SAR Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWorley31

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im currently on a SAR team in Idaho and most of our diving is black water, go figure, and swift current rivers. I am at this time diving a Zeagle Ranger bc. It's a bit small so I am getting another bc in a large rather than a medium. Currently I am debating on the Ranger LTD and the 911 or even the SAR bcd. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience using these? My Ranger has held up well but if there is something better I would love some thoughts.

The Ranger is a great BC. Tons of adjustment so better to have a size up than a size down. Plus,,,, the dual tank straps are a great bonus, especially if you are diving solo.

The Ranger is a great BC. Tons of adjustment so better to have a size up than a size down. Plus,,,, the dual tank straps are a great bonus, especially if you are diving solo.

So if somebody who owns an xl Ranger bc is a borderline xl and loses few pounds down the line, there is enough adjustment to make the xl Ranger fit an L sized body without needing to buy a new one?

Dude!

I've had mine about 25yrs heaps of adjustment, but because I did not want to spend money
I got a mate to hit my shoulder panel with sewing machine and it fit better than like a glove

Went to visit his grave a couple of weeks ago 66yrs old just ridiculous, best bloke I've known

So if somebody who owns an xl Ranger bc is a borderline xl and loses few pounds down the line, there is enough adjustment to make the xl Ranger fit an L sized body without needing to buy a new one?
I would either visit a shop that carries Zeagle......or use Scuba.com's awesome return policy....... and see what stock sized BC fits the best when adjusted to the "middle" range. That way you can afford to gain or lose a few pounds and can easily adjust as needed. I have both a Stiletto (warm / tropics) and a Ranger (cold / drysuit).

It's basically a fully modular BC as can be seen in this YouTube vid. .

We use these on our department.

We use these on our department.

Wow!! LGS still sells these?? Is LGS still active in PSD training?

Wow!! LGS still sells these?? Is LGS still active in PSD training?
Yes. Butch is pretty much retired, but Andrea is running a good operation. They will be up my way in August for 4 team trainings. My newer members are required to take it.

Yes. Butch is pretty much retired, but Andrea is running a good operation. They will be up my way in August for 4 team trainings. My newer members are required to take it.

First course with Butch was circa 1986.

Did you know George Safirawsky? He passed on many years ago.

First course with Butch was circa 1986.

Did you know George Safirawsky? He passed on many years ago.
I heard of George, but when I joined the Sheriff's department in 2011 he had passed 3 years before that as I recall. Butch recalled the name when we went out after practice. I've heard that name in other circles too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom