Question Best back-inflate BCD for small woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife (5'5", 125#) currently dives an Oceanic Hera (Size S). On a shakedown trip to the Keys in preparation for a bucket list trip, she was dialing in trim and weight requirement. It became obvious that the small was too big. Tank and bcd slipping to one side from time to time. Maxing out the cummerbund cinch to try to make it better.

She's committed to back-inflate, but doesn't want to go BP/W yet. She loves the comfort/padding of the Hera, but it's a little heavy for a travel bcd. None of the local shops have the bcd's discussed below in sizes XS or S for trial. Hoping y'all can help. She doesn't even lurk on SB, so here I am asking for her...

Requirements: comfort; back inflate or hybrid; low weight for travel; at least small droppable or accessible weight pockets in addition to trim weight pockets on back next to tank; some form of accessible pocket for a DSMB (haven't talked her into pocket shorts - I'm told they're ugly).
Desires: a small to medium wing size (20-25lb) (warm water diving).
Wishes: color

Here's where we are thus far (and definitely not in any particular order):

Aqualung Lotus
Lotus.png

Pro: Big pockets
Con: Not sure we can get a small enough waist adjustment

HOG Total Buoyancy package
HOG.png

Pro: Small wing 23#, padded
Con?: Backplate design - not a jacket, but looks comfy
Con: Will need to add trim pockets for weight in back; Do the front pockets hold anything beside weight?

Aqualung Outlaw
Outlaw.png

Pro: Minimalist design; appropriate 20lb wing
Con: Hard to add pockets and releasable weight

Zeagle Zena
Zena.jpg

Pro: this bcd is very popular here in other threads on SB! Seems very customizable.
Pro: lots of pocket options
Con: There appears to be no cummerbund or waist buckle - what if the zipper fails?
Almost a deal breaker for me: Rip cord weight drop can’t be reinstalled in the water. Once you use it, you're committed. (Is this a non issue? In 35 years, I've never dropped weights.)
Question: Is this as comfortable for non-full-figured divers?

Aqualung Rogue
Rogue.png

Pro: nice drop-down pockets for SMB and can add weight pockets; looks comfy, already has trim pockets
Con: large wing - 35 lb

Oceanic Biolite
Biolite.jpg

Pro: minimalist; lightweight
Con: another large wing @ 32#; no pockets beyond weight release

Oceanic Excursion
Excursion.jpg

Cons: huge bladder; not sure we can make the cummerbund small enough
Right now, she's favoring the Rogue, the Zena and the HOG.
We could use your advice.

Try a Hydro-Lite.
They come in small sizes. Harness is very adjustable. It weighs nothing.

Zeagle Zena
View attachment 756320
Pro: this bcd is very popular here in other threads on SB! Seems very customizable.
Pro: lots of pocket options
Con: There appears to be no cummerbund or waist buckle - what if the zipper fails?
Almost a deal breaker for me: Rip cord weight drop can’t be reinstalled in the water. Once you use it, you're committed. (Is this a non issue? In 35 years, I've never dropped weights.)
Question: Is this as comfortable for non-full-figured divers?
I have had the male version of that BC, the discontinued "Zeus," (wow, the idiotic names) and it has been my minimalist go-to, and a viable alternative for my far heavier-built Ranger, since 2007-8, both for comfort and travel -- and I have really beat the hell out of mine. I even managed to find a spare, last year, through some online dealer's old overstock, and my exclusively warm-water-diving-only girlfriend has apparently claimed it, for its extreme adjustability, despite its larger size.

It is the most comfortable BC that I have ever owned.

That zippered panel had originally been a concern as well; but I have never has an issue with it, after years of heavy use. It is extremely tough and that whole assembly can be cinched-down against the padded back, which was important to me after a back injury. There is almost a "corset"-like effect (insert your own joke); and since the Zeagle is modular, you could always carry spare zippered panels, if that ever became a concern.

I have never jettisoned any weights, and my earlier model doesn't even possess the "ripcord" -- just zippered / velcro-bottomed pockets that could be opened manually, if required.

The Ranger, though, has always had that same ripcord feature, though I have never had occasion to use it . . .

My wife (5' 1", petite build) really likes her Scubapro Hydros Pro. Not cheap, but a good step from jacket toward BPW. Packs down quite small (we put them in carry-on without issue). Dries fast too. I added a rolled up pocket and clip off everything else.

You were told correctly. :rofl3:

Wish I could help with the list above, but I crossed over to BP/W and shall not return.

What is the reason for her not wanting to go BPW?
(Honestly, a smallplated BPW would probably be perfect)
Perhaps I can coax her into at least reading this thread...:flowers:

I have a friend about her size that has the aqualung Roque and loves it.

I actually like the rip cord of the zeagle. As you mentioned dropping weight us very rare, if you want to take them out to hand up simply unzip and remove, I used to do this on my ranger diving out of a rib.

I dislike the weights on the aqualung, they are the same as my dimension and I have both had and seen them pop out when they shouldn't.

Have her try them all on and then get her a small plated bpw 🤣 😂

Perhaps I can coax her into at least reading this thread...:flowers:
My wife is 5'3" 128 and uses a BP/W. HOG aluminum plate, HOG 23# wing (you don't need a STA but we much prefer them), harness and we use Zeagle 10 # weight pockets that book screw on to the holes in the BP. If you would like I can send you this 23# HOG wing...we don't use this one and its never been used. Very lightweight and stream lined. I use the xDeep Ghost (larger size) which in the small size would work great for her as well

Attachments

• HOG.jpg
    HOG.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 83
  • HOG1.jpg
    HOG1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Zeagle.jpg
    Zeagle.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 82
She's committed to back-inflate, but doesn't want to go BP/W yet.
Honestly, a BP/W can fit her like a glove and provide stability no matter how slender she is. She won't even need a small/short plate since she's over 5'4" and can use a standard BP.

The Halcyon Infinity was designed for people who were drawn to the comfort of a jacket or who might be on the fence about a BP/W. She is used to a women's back-inflate, so it should feel very similar.

It has weight pockets, and pockets can be added to the waist webbing to store an SMB, etc. Later on, she can remove the padding if she wants, and it's still very comfortable.

There may be other BP/W's that are similar.

Halcyon Infinity

20221203_011352.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom