Info Switch to Backplate and wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason Craig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, looking for some insight and watch outs for my new set-up. I have dove a Zeagle Ranger for the last 4 years and am now switching to a backplate and wing. After all my research I have settled on a Halcyon SS backplate, OMS smartstream harness and DGX 30lb single wing. I chose the Halcyon from reviews on comfort, reputation and customer service. The OMS smartstream harness becaus I have some shoulder mobility issues and it looks like it wolud work well for getting in and out of. And the DGX single wing from reviews and good price and I figured it would be a good starter wing. I have seen some posts about the OMS harness being too tight on the shoulders when the waist is tightened. I am thinking I can install a tri-glides above the adjusting loop so it limits the shoulder strap travel so they are the same each time it’s put on. I will be using for recreational diving just want to significantly simplify my current rig. All advice and words of wisdom welcome.

Why the Halcyon plate?
A doubles style plate like any of those is a plate is a plate is a plate.
Why not something like Dive Rite which is flatter anyway so probably better for single tanks, or DGX?
Here’s something to think about: with any of those plates, if you were to be blindfolded and put on any brand of stainless plate you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between them.
Save some money for diving or air fills.

I'm not the foremost expert on backplates, but I've found most backplates to be the same. The freedom-plate is an unique concept, as are nylon backplates (often used by sidemount). But otherwise, backplates aren't that much different except in weight or number of holes around the edges.

Looking at the photos and marketing materials, the OMS smartstream harness looks fairly standard. OMS is a good brand generally speaking from what I know, but I'm not sure how that would help a shoulder issue.

The DGX wing looks good. Donut. 30lbs is ideal for singles. Reasonable price.

I am thinking I can install a tri-glides above the adjusting loop so it limits the shoulder strap travel so they are the same each time it’s put on.
You can do that. Some harnesses have buckles, which clip/unclip, but don't require adjusting each time. That said, I see nothing wrong with your plan.

Instead of adding more hardware to the overkill of a deluxe harness, you can add a single side release (fastex) buckle on one of the shoulder straps of a standard harness. Put it below the shoulder d-ring in basically the same place as your Ranger. You put one arm in the fixed side and then clip in or tighten the side with the buckle.

You can get a version of this already made with steel hardware from Golem Gear. Get it with their reverse profile backplate for a really nice and compact single tank setup.

Add in their 30lb wing which includes cam bands and their crotch strap and you are all set except for weight pockets for $450.

I use a pair of these at $10 each on my waist strap for weights. They hold up to a 5lb hard weight. You can get a couple of extras for a cam band (usually upper) if your need more weight or to adjust your trim.

I was just about the paste a URL for the Golem harness when I saw somebody else had beaten me to it. Next best thing to a single piece of webbing. Prices being asked for the OMS harness are just nuts!

Some back plates require Single Tank Adapter.
Hi all, looking for some insight and watch outs for my new set-up. I have dove a Zeagle Ranger for the last 4 years and am now switching to a backplate and wing. After all my research I have settled on a Halcyon SS backplate, OMS smartstream harness and DGX 30lb single wing. I chose the Halcyon from reviews on comfort, reputation and customer service. The OMS smartstream harness becaus I have some shoulder mobility issues and it looks like it wolud work well for getting in and out of. And the DGX single wing from reviews and good price and I figured it would be a good starter wing. I have seen some posts about the OMS harness being too tight on the shoulders when the waist is tightened. I am thinking I can install a tri-glides above the adjusting loop so it limits the shoulder strap travel so they are the same each time it’s put on. I will be using for recreational diving just want to significantly simplify my current rig. All advice and words of wisdom welcome.
What kind of customer service do you expect for a back plate?
Some back plates require Single Tank Adapter because there isn't any slot on it to accommodate the CAM bands.
The waist harness should has no effect on the shoulder straps, leave it to the crotch strap. Shoulder straps should be slightly loose.
Plenty of video on how to adjust the harness on you tube.

If I were in the market today for a new singles rig I'd buy the DGX Gears SoftPack BCD Package

I'd ditch the crotch strap, use ScubaPro style tank straps and shorten the inflator hose. Trade the weight pockets for a rubber belt and hard lead and use a streamlined open water reg setup. That is about as close to diving nothing at all and very comfortable with ease of donning and doffing with the sliding shoulder straps.

The only way you could simplify it more would be a wireless AI computer and ditch the SPG and use an AIR2 alternate inflator and ditch the traditional octo. This leaves you with just two hoses.

Super simple and super streamlined.

Look at the Sub Gravity BP/W system. You can get everything you want in one system. I like their adjustable harness, it's clean, simple and no plastic and their wings do not require a single tank adapter. Paragon Single Tank Package - SubGravity

After diving and traveling with a hard plate for a decade, I am done with mine for singles in most cases. Traveling with a hard plate is a PITA. I have gone to a polymer reinforced backplate, namely the Zeagle Express Tech. The only place I would dive my hard plate is in cold water where I needed some extra weight.

Back
Top Bottom