Info Switch to Backplate and wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go

Good point, one of the reasons for choosing the Halycon plate is I have seen nothing but positive feedback on it. Unfortunately I don’t have any dive shops with backplates close to see and try. I didn’t know some plates are flatter than others, what’s the advantage of a flatter plate other than what you mentioned of the tank is closer to your back?
Yes, with flatter plates a single tank is closer to your back. If you were diving doubles it would be the opposite, you’d want a plate with a steep bend because then the threaded rod coming out of the doubles bands is shorter and more stable and the channel reaches further into the space between the double cylinders. The cylinders on each side will rest on each side of your back anyway so the steep bend of the plate won’t affect anything. However, when you put single tank up on top of that steep plate and tall channel it sticks way out there, and a STA on top of that makes it even worse. With a big tank it will want to turtle you over and you’ll be fighting it constantly.
If you are diving singles pick the flattest plate you can find with a shallow channel and use a wing with those roll cushions (sounds like you already picked one), and skip the STA. They are kinda obsolete in many ways.
I’d skip the comfort harness too and modify a standard one piece by adding a buckle on the left shoulder, it’s not that hard to do.

As mentioned before you can use one of these beauties DGX S/S Loop Adjustment Ring to get some adjustability in a standard continuous webbing rig. You can adjust it so that you get as much give as you need and will work with the webbing. I have a few centimeters worth of play using this. I have shoulder problems as well, and it does the trick for me.

I didn’t know some plates are flatter than others, what’s the advantage of a flatter plate other than what you mentioned of the tank is closer to your back?
As others have mentioned the standard plate was designed for doubles. My first BP was from a small company called DSS that made rigs specialized for single tanks. When I eventually figured out I needed a tall plate, DSS was out of business, so I bought a tall doubles plate. When I got it, the sides were angled so much I posted here to ask if it was defective. Everyone told me it was normal. And a few asked to buy my old DSS plate :)

I did dive with that plate and the tank was noticeably more tippy than my old plate even without an STA. It's also harder to pack since it's a couple of inches taller when laid out flat. I kept that plate in case I ever take up diving doubles and purchased a tall version of the best single tank plate ever made and finally reached backplate nirvana. That plate was made by Eric Sedletzky, the first guy who replied on your thread. Unfortunately, he's put plate making on hiatus for now.

So if you are diving single tanks, I'd recommend looking for a plate designed for that if you can find one. The Golem Gear reverse plate I linked above is one.

FWIW, I've always had steel plates and travelled with them. They actually weigh about the same as my first BCD (which was also a Zeagle Ranger) and they are way less bulky.

Thanks for all the info everyone, sounds like I would be better off with a flatter backplate. As I don't have a shop I can evaluate plates how do I tell how flat they are from their descriptions? From the comments is the Dive Rite, and Golem Gear plates the best 'flat' plates to consider?

No body asked you what tank you use, what exposure protection you wear and how much lead you carry. A 30 lb wing is a lot less lift than a ranger. Perhaps 30 lbs is enough, but if is not, the wing size will be more important than the shape of your plate.

For what it's worth, I started with the OMS SmartStream harness + OMS stainless plate + 32lb OMS single-tank wing. I ended up swapping the harness out for a single piece of webbing. The main thing I didn't like was that it was impossible to get the waist strap sufficiently tight while leaving the shoulder straps sufficiently loose. Now that I have a single-piece harness, I'm very happy with both the OMS wing and the plate.

If I were on the market for a new rig today, I'd just get the DGX gears setup: DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package . At about $250 less than the OMS SmartStream + wing + backplate, it's kinda hard to justify the OMS stuff. I understand that you have a shoulder issue, but a properly adjusted single-piece harness is pretty easy for a lot of people to don and doff, so you may want to try it out before you go for something else. By the way, there are also cheap pieces of hardware that provide adjustment where the waist strap meets the backplate, like this one: DGX S/S Loop Adjustment Ring

Edit to add: actually, now that I think about it, I have doubts that adding a triglide will help. When properly fit, a single-piece harness will be tight at the waist and crotch, but loose on the shoulders. I'm not sure whether a triglide on a SmartStream harness can really give you a tight waist and a loose shoulder -- maybe. But on a single-piece harness, this is no problem, because the shoulder straps being tight just isn't that important. See this video demonstrating that you can dive with the shoulder straps completely off: .

If he can do that, then I think you can adjust a single-piece webbing to be a little looser to accommodate your shoulder mobility issue. Best of luck.

No body asked you what tank you use, what exposure protection you wear and how much lead you carry. A 30 lb wing is a lot less lift than a ranger. Perhaps 30 lbs is enough, but if is not, the wing size will be more important than the shape of your plate.
I am diving mostly cold water either dry or with my 7mm depending on the time of year. I wear 22lbs of lead with both when diving Al80 in fresh water. When diving 3mm in FL or Caribbean I use 6lbs. No wetsuit in the Caribbean 4lbs. All weighting is with my ranger bc and standard kit.

For what it's worth, I started with the OMS SmartStream harness + OMS stainless plate + 32lb OMS single-tank wing. I ended up swapping the harness out for a single piece of webbing. The main thing I didn't like was that it was impossible to get the waist strap sufficiently tight while leaving the shoulder straps sufficiently loose. Now that I have a single-piece harness, I'm very happy with both the OMS wing and the plate.

If I were on the market for a new rig today, I'd just get the DGX gears setup: DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package . At about $250 less than the OMS SmartStream + wing + backplate, it's kinda hard to justify the OMS stuff. I understand that you have a shoulder issue, but a properly adjusted single-piece harness is pretty easy for a lot of people to don and doff, so you may want to try it out before you go for something else. By the way, there are also cheap pieces of hardware that provide adjustment where the waist strap meets the backplate, like this one: DGX S/S Loop Adjustment Ring

Edit to add: actually, now that I think about it, I have doubts that adding a triglide will help. When properly fit, a single-piece harness will be tight at the waist and crotch, but loose on the shoulders. I'm not sure whether a triglide on a SmartStream harness can really give you a tight waist and a loose shoulder -- maybe. But on a single-piece harness, this is no problem, because the shoulder straps being tight just isn't that important. See this video demonstrating that you can dive with the shoulder straps completely off: .

If he can do that, then I think you can adjust a single-piece webbing to be a little looser to accommodate your shoulder mobility issue. Best of luck.
Thank you, good explanation and that video is great. I will need to try that doff and don technique for sure.

Back
Top Bottom