Info Switch to Backplate and wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a 30 lb would work, but if you ever want to dive really warm water with a heavy steel tank, then you will want an aluminum plate, or at least not a heavy s steel one. This is also more important than some of the other preferences discussed.

After diving and traveling with a hard plate for a decade, I am done with mine for singles in most cases. Traveling with a hard plate is a PITA. I have gone to a polymer reinforced backplate, namely the Zeagle Express Tech. The only place I would dive my hard plate is in cold water where I needed some extra weight.
Is it just the weight in your luggage that made it a PITA? Serious question as I'm thinking of making the switch to BPW and I take 1 dive trip per year via plane.

Is it just the weight in your luggage that made it a PITA? Serious question as I'm thinking of making the switch to BPW and I take 1 dive trip per year via plane.
I'm shopping and kinda curious too. Do you like the "squashability" of the softie? Cuz apparantly the DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package is only 1lb heavier than their SoftPack.

Why the Halcyon plate?
A doubles style plate like any of those is a plate is a plate is a plate.
Why not something like Dive Rite which is flatter anyway so probably better for single tanks, or DGX?
Here’s something to think about: with any of those plates, if you were to be blindfolded and put on any brand of stainless plate you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between them.
Save some money for diving or air fills.
DR or DGX plate is significantly different from Halcyon and OMS in both shape and mounting hole layout. The OP states choosing the Halcyon based on comfort, so I would suggest DR or DGX would not necessarily be similar. However, my question would be why not an OMS plate which is basically identical, since the OP chose an OMS harness? Or, why not a Halcyon harness with the Halcyon plate (cool H's on webbing)? As for wing, this is less critical and more easily changed out at will. I'm all for saving money by going with DGX over the "name brands" If price is a primary concern (which the OP does not say it is, except for the wing), an all-DGX solution would make sense.
BTW, I have a Halcyon plate, a couple OMS plates, and 2 DR plates and I can definitely tell the difference with my blindfold on.

BTW, I have a Halcyon plate, a couple OMS plates, and 2 DR plates and I can definitely tell the difference with my blindfold on.
@mdwalter I’m interested in understanding what differences you can easily discern between these different plates and your preferences, especially in context to diving with 80AL or even a 100AL.

Back
Top Bottom