Need a travel battery for heating, any recommendations ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you need 2 of the tflex and an external controller like the fathom dive or an internal one like scaleo infinity. You will have to strap the tflex to your thigh. You could use 1 tflex and switch batteries on the boat but its hard to do that on a boat, if sea water goes in even a drop is bad. I once used a system like the tflex and it worked, it was just a lot of parts though lol. Also will need 6 external chargers for 24 individual batteries.

2 tflex + 24 individual cells + 1 external controller + 6 chargers + 4 extra spare cells + 1 extra spare charger + 1 extra spare controller = 39 parts but it will work.
I intend to buy just 1 of them, I have bought 2 x 12 battery chargers.

No internal controller should be needed, it has a board/does everything itself? Unless you mean for the total heat output, well, once I get into very serious dives I might consider that to further reduce DCS risk, for now it should be fine.

So I can just charge them over 7-8 hours, as for changing on a boat, if conditions are so choppy I'd be hesitant to even go on the boat, haha.

I haven't done a lot of boat diving in my life, I admit, but every one I have done I could have easily swapped out the batteries without fear of water ingression.

I know my Halcyon torch battery has it embossed in the bottom of the can that it is air transport safe, I wonder if other manufacturers do too. Would that cover you for postage?

Update: SeaYa seem to (bottom), Ammonite do as well (top).View attachment 853838
View attachment 853837
I dunno, I am no expert with this stuff.

I just know I send my giant gralmarine battery back that has no such thing visibly labelled when it was broken (Got replaced), and it was fine, but that was prob ground transport.

What is the max volt it can output? I am a bit confused
t-flex is in 3S4P (3 in Series, 4 in parallel), so 3.7v * 3 = 11.1v

Might not be enough to power your gralmarine light.

It's a good question. Unfortunately there aren't that many 4S (14.8v nominal) heater batteries out there available commercially that I have been able to find, let alone ones that are suitable for airline travel. Most packs are 3S (11.1v nominal like Light Monkey, Ammonite, Halycon, Santi's old packs)

The only ones that I know are:
I think the Nanight Power Canister G2 almost meets your requirements as it's separate packs (192 Wh (2x 96Wh batteries inside) but it's max output is only 110W.

The new Santi Blue Power batteries almost meet your requirements but I can't find anything about anything about them being safe for airline travel but I may have missed that in the documentation somewhere?

Does anyone know of any other commercially available 4S packs that have built-in voltage regulator to 12v?

It's a good question. Unfortunately there aren't that many 4S (14.8v nominal) heater batteries out there available commercially that I have been able to find, let alone ones that are suitable for airline travel. Most packs are 3S (11.1v nominal like Light Monkey, Ammonite, Halycon, Santi's old packs)

The only ones that I know are:
I think the Nanight Power Canister G2 almost meets your requirements as it's separate packs (192 Wh (2x 96Wh batteries inside) but it's max output is only 110W.

The new Santi Blue Power batteries almost meet your requirements but I can't find anything about anything about them being safe for airline travel but I may have missed that in the documentation somewhere?

Does anyone know of any other commercially available 4S packs that have built-in voltage regulator to 12v?
Thanks!

I am going with the previously linked thor battery, I bought 2 x 12 battery rechargers and 24 18650 3500 MAH cells at 3.6v

This should (Hopefully) give me around 1 hour of heating, get out of the water, throw out the old batteries, swap in new and let the old ones charge.

Even if it takes 8 hours for them to charge, I just get out of the water and slap the other ones into the other charger.

Is it a elegant solution? No, it takes up space and weight, but it should work.

I intend to buy just 1 of them, I have bought 2 x 12 battery chargers.

No internal controller should be needed, it has a board/does everything itself? Unless you mean for the total heat output, well, once I get into very serious dives I might consider that to further reduce DCS risk, for now it should be fine.

So I can just charge them over 7-8 hours, as for changing on a boat, if conditions are so choppy I'd be hesitant to even go on the boat, haha.

I haven't done a lot of boat diving in my life, I admit, but every one I have done I could have easily swapped out the batteries without fear of water ingression.

Thanks!

I am going with the previously linked thor battery, I bought 2 x 12 battery rechargers and 24 18650 3500 MAH cells at 3.6v

This should (Hopefully) give me around 1 hour of heating, get out of the water, throw out the old batteries, swap in new and let the old ones charge.

Even if it takes 8 hours for them to charge, I just get out of the water and slap the other ones into the other charger.

Is it a elegant solution? No, it takes up space and weight, but it should work.
Get the LG MJ1 those cells are bad ass compared to the others.

Thanks for posting that Thor canister. I am going to pick one up myself for travel. Looks like an awesome solution and easy to replace a cell when the pack goes bad.

Back
Top Bottom