Question Looking for advice / sources on a new suit-heater battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stretchthepenn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
TL;DR: I need a new heater battery pack that fits in a DiveRite can (52mm diameter, 143mm length; trailer connector).

First off, yes, I know that if I'm really serious, I should get a Light Monkey / Underwater Light Dude battery with a Pitkin controller, but I'm not doing five-hour cave dives, and I ain't got the cash for a honkin' battery right now. If that's the comment you intend to leave, then please buzz off, kthxbai. On with the post...

I frequently dive a quarry that's ~51F at the bottom, and my runtimes are starting to exceed two hours. I typically wear a wicking base layer under a 4th Element Argon jumpsuit, and these do a good job, but I usually get chilly about 3/4 of the way through and start shivering. Thus, I've used a Light Monkey heated undershirt (35.300.-Heater Base - Top), particularly during the winter months, to ward off the chill.

Problem is, my battery pack, which I bought a few years ago used, is dying/dead. It's a 12V 4.5AH NiMH pack that fits into a converted Dive Rite light can. The pack's dimensions are 52mm x 143mm, and it has a trailer connector.

2022-10-27 11.43.44.jpg
2024-04-28 21.01.35.jpg

I've found the actual replacement battery pack (NiMH Battery Pack: 12V 4500mAh (54Wh) for Diving light) but I'm wondering if I can upgrade to a more capacious Li-Ion battery that fits in the same space.

Do you know if such a thing exists, or do you know somebody who's an expert on battery packs of this nature?

I've built a 4s7ah pack into these cans. Could fit a 3s7ah too.

The 4s is nice if you're using an external liken controller and can turn it down

These would fit, but they are 14.4v.

IMG_20240506_182441.jpg

I'll piggyback on this question since I have a similar can and considering a similar build.

Is 3S worth doing to avoid needing a controller? Or can a fixed DC/DC converter be used inside the can to limit it to something like 10v?

A controller like that generates heat, and there's not a lot of room for one

I suppose another simple system would be a switch to go from 2S to 4S. Not hugely variable but simple and inexpensive.

I've built a 4s7ah pack into these cans. Could fit a 3s7ah too.

The 4s is nice if you're using an external liken controller and can turn it down
I'd probably go for a three-cell package, as I don't have an external controller; my can has a simple on/off switch that I toggle as needed.

How does the build work? I've been looking online, but most of the instructions are crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom