Question Where to get replacement battery packs for can lights/heated vests?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stretchthepenn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Who manufactures battery packs / where have you bought replacement battery packs for can lights and heated vests?

I've got an older, repurposed DiveRite light canister that that's been adapted for heater-vest purposes, and I run a Light Monkey heated shirt off it. The battery pack is a product of batteryspace.com; it's rated 12V / 4.5Ah / 54Wh NiMH, and it's nominally 140mm/5.5" long by 52mm/2" diameter. (NiMH Battery Pack: 12V 4500mAh (54Wh) for Diving light) The battery is starting to run down, and I'd like to replace the NiMH pack with a Li-Ion pack.

Problem is, the only direct replacement I can find (also at batteryspace.com) is overpowered, at a nominal 14.6V. (Li-ion 18650 Battery: 14.6V 5.2Ah (75.92Wh, 7A rate, INR18650M26) for Diving Light) The service manager at Light Monkey recommended that I limit the battery's nominal voltage to 12V in order to reduce the risk of burning myself.

Or, I suppose, I could go for a smaller battery pack and pad the inside of the canister (Li-Ion 18650 Battery: 10.8V 6.7Ah (72.36wh, TRIANGLE, NCR18650B)), but it's out of stock, and I'd rather get a full-size replacement that won't rattle around.

I've searched Teh Intarwebz pretty well, but I can't find any manufacturers of battery packs for can lights/heater vests other than batteryspace.com. Can you suggest a source?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom