Need a travel battery for heating, any recommendations ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This might be a daft question, electrickery really isn't my bag, but if it is manufacturer labelled up as UN38.3 transport compatible, does it matter if the maths says it goes above 160W? 13.8Ah at 12.6v should be 173.88 Watts, so not flyable, but they are specifically saying it is. Is there system losses or something else going on?
I'm kinda curious now.

Rich

I’m in the uk but all ways use ammonite and think they’re brill

This might be a daft question, electrickery really isn't my bag, but if it is manufacturer labelled up as UN38.3 transport compatible, does it matter if the maths says it goes above 160W? 13.8Ah at 12.6v should be 173.88 Watts, so not flyable, but they are specifically saying it is. Is there system losses or something else going on?
I'm kinda curious now.

Rich
As far as I understand it's safe for flying transportation wise, so postal.

Like I could carry a 150 watt battery and be fine, but as soon as I post that without any certifications such as UN38.3 there may be issues.

But take that with a grain of salt, also batteries usually start high but drop lower, maybe there is some weird laws and rules where it's 160 watts due to voltage.

But iirc on their site it also says it's airtransport safe for the HUGE CANS, and those DEF are above 160 watts no matter how much you look at the voltage being lower.

I think you need 2 of the tflex and an external controller like the fathom dive or an internal one like scaleo infinity. You will have to strap the tflex to your thigh. You could use 1 tflex and switch batteries on the boat but its hard to do that on a boat, if sea water goes in even a drop is bad. I once used a system like the tflex and it worked, it was just a lot of parts though lol. Also will need 6 external chargers for 24 individual batteries.

2 tflex + 24 individual cells + 1 external controller + 6 chargers + 4 extra spare cells + 1 extra spare charger + 1 extra spare controller = 39 parts but it will work.

I know my Halcyon torch battery has it embossed in the bottom of the can that it is air transport safe, I wonder if other manufacturers do too. Would that cover you for postage?

Update: SeaYa seem to (bottom), Ammonite do as well (top).
1722508296494.png

1722508255688.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom