Necklace advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrotherBear

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Folks,

I'm posting here because I figure this is the best spot to get good answers to stupid questions regarding long-hose/necklace rigs. I am a relatively new diver who wants to move to a more technical rig ASAP so as to gain time and experience in what is clearly a commonly preferred configuration for serious divers.

I'm switching from a standard jacket with a Sherwood Magnum regulator set to a BP/W and HOG D1 Cold reg set, both second stages are HOGs, the primary is on a 5ft hose.

On Saturday I took the regs, the SS BP/Wing, and Hog harness to a confined water location to get used to it and make adjustments (20fsw max, 40f surface temp).

My only problem with this rig is that as soon as I hit the water the necklaced second began free flowing. I had it rigged such that the mouthpiece was facing toward my chin and the adjustments were as restricted as possible. So far as I have been able to find that is generally how the necklace is set up...am I missing something? Should it be rigged differently such that I would have to turn it towad my face to use it? I was with a couple of tech oriented divers and they gave me some advice but I would like a more diversified range of opinions before I alter anything.

TIA for putting up with the noob!

You can turn it mouthpiece down but if your reg starts flowing even with all minimum adjustments it's seems to be tuned too sensitive, mine never does that in pre-dive mode

try pointing the mouthpiece down.
also you'll probably wanna detune that guy if it's free flowing that easy. if it has one, turn the venturi knob to the pre-dive position

on the HOG second stage you have 2 adjustment options. The Venturi - which is the red lever - and the cracking pressure which is the chrome knob.

As LH said, move the venturi lever to full "-" and turn the knob clockwise (increasing cracking pressure) until you no longer get free flow when you submerge.

Don't stop an ongoing free flow with the knob - just put a hand over the mouthpiece. But experiment and dial the knob in until free flow no longer *starts*.

Henrik

Thanks for the advice. :D I just got off the phone with Mike from Dive Right In Scuba and he walked me through the tuning procedure (very nice guy, BTW). Way cool that this gives me a THIRD thing to fiddle with on the reg :cool2: I will rent a tank and try tuning it later this week, seems very likely this is the problem since I ended up clipping off the primary and breathing the necklaced reg without any other problems.

I'll post the results here later, in case anyone is curious.

Thanks again.

You can turn it mouthpiece down but if your reg starts flowing even with all minimum adjustments it's seems to be tuned too sensitive, mine never does that in pre-dive mode

try pointing the mouthpiece down.
also you'll probably wanna detune that guy if it's free flowing that easy. if it has one, turn the venturi knob to the pre-dive position

on the HOG second stage you have 2 adjustment options. The Venturi - which is the red lever - and the cracking pressure which is the chrome knob.

As LH said, move the venturi lever to full "-" and turn the knob clockwise (increasing cracking pressure) until you no longer get free flow when you submerge.

Don't stop an ongoing free flow with the knob - just put a hand over the mouthpiece. But experiment and dial the knob in until free flow no longer *starts*.

Henrik

The real answer to your question is that you've probably got the reg fasten to the necklace correctly and you just need to turn the reg down just until you are underwater.

My reg doesn't even have user adjustments. On a boat dive where you just jump in and you're under it's not a problem. On a shore dive if you are standing in 5 feet of water putting on gear before dropping down it's not too uncommon for the necklaced reg to start to freeflow if the purge button is underwater that the rest isn't. Just turn it around for the period while you are just standing there above water.

Once underwater it will not be a problem.

If you use the adjustment knob to increase the cracking pressure, make sure the dial it all the way back out when you're done diving/storing the reg. This will save you some wear and tear on it.

The real answer to your question is that you've probably got the reg fasten to the necklace correctly and you just need to turn the reg down just until you are underwater.

My reg doesn't even have user adjustments. On a boat dive where you just jump in and you're under it's not a problem. On a shore dive if you are standing in 5 feet of water putting on gear before dropping down it's not too uncommon for the necklaced reg to start to freeflow if the purge button is underwater that the rest isn't. Just turn it around for the period while you are just standing there above water.

Once underwater it will not be a problem.

Sensible advice but not the problem with mine, while it was a shore dive I pretty much plopped into the water and the first thing I heard was the rushing of bubbles. Everytime I stopped the freeflow (while underwater) and then turned the reg loose it started again. Seems to be a tuning issue, as mentioned above.

But thanks again!

If you use the adjustment knob to increase the cracking pressure, make sure the dial it all the way back out when you're done diving/storing the reg. This will save you some wear and tear on it.

Never thought about it but it seems like a sound idea. Assuming that dialing the knob out reduces spring force on the mechanism or possibly valve seat(s).

Thanks!

I have a few friends that have purchased the D1 HOG regs recently and although they love them and say they breathe great, a common observation seem to be that they come tuned a bit prone to freeflowing out of the box. This should be able to be adressed by simply detuning the reg a little. My necklaced apeks reg does the freeflow thing when getting into the water but once I turn it upside down it stops. Sounds like your necklace is rigged correctly BTW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom