Necklace advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She is probably referring to the practice of just bungeeing the reg to the tank or tank neck. I have seen one guy do this while sidemounting and it made horribly long to switch regs. I use a double reg necklace so I never have to clip off.

She could also be referring to the practice of simply bungeeing the excess of the long hose rather than run it around your neck.

Thank you, Pete!

These statements are exactly why I am confused . . . people talk about bungee-ing their backup, but then use the words in such context I cannot fathom what they are describing . . . then someone called a 'necklace' a 'bungee' . . .

Thank you for the video, ONESPEED; I assume the homemade one is better because you can tailor it to your comfort?

Thank you for the video, ONESPEED; I assume the homemade one is better because you can tailor it to your comfort?

I don't think one could be considered more comfortable than the other, as I said before it's just a more secure attachment to your reg.

I don't think one could be considered more comfortable than the other, as I said before it's just a more secure attachment to your reg.

Agreed. The homemade ones can be assembled in a couple of different ways with differing levels of grip, ranging from "death grip, that sucker will break the reg before it lets go!" to "pops out if you pull too hard on it", while the prefab ones seem to range from "just barely secure" to "falls out if there's a stiff breeze". Plus homemade is cheaper and easier to repair (read: possible).

Definitely a case where a DIY solution is actually superior to the manufactured one, for a change.

WOW! Sorry, I didn't realize you were actually asking that question :D, this place is so full of smart a$$es I thought you were making some kind of off the wall tech diver style splitfin/spare air/oil/tire thread crack about a "yet another dumb necklace question" thread! :shocked2: Ooops

Anyway my questions were answered, glad yours was too...:)

BTW...the wing in your previous avatar looks just like mine.

Thank you, Pete!

These statements are exactly why I am confused . . . people talk about bungee-ing their backup, but then use the words in such context I cannot fathom what they are describing . . . then someone called a 'necklace' a 'bungee' . . .

The premade rubber ones are no good. They are WAY too long (unless you're a yetti or something), and even then, the reg can and does pop out.

The backup regs needs to stay in place and be where you need it, when you need it. No if ands or buts about it. That video shows a way that can and does allow the reg to pop out of the bungee. Even if its on there tight, it can work its way out and then you've not meeting the above requirements for a backup reg. I used to dive with it this way, I thought it was super secure, then one day, it wasn't. Lesson learned.

The better solution is to put a simple overhand knot into each end of the bungee and then secure it under the mouthpiece ziptie, using pliers to tighten the ziptie to the max. This absolutely prevents the bungee from coming out.

The bungee needs to be just long enough for you to get the reg into your mouth. And longer and it dangles too much. I prefer mine up pretty tight, with just enough slack so the bungee isn't under tension when its in my mouth (if it were even a little bit shorter, it would be under tension). This keeps it up and out of the silt when moving through restrictions, prevents freeflows when in high flow/ scootering, and allows me to turn the mouthpiece forward when I'm scootin'.

The premade rubber ones are no good. They are WAY too long (unless you're a yetti or something), and even then, the reg can and does pop out.

The backup regs needs to stay in place and be where you need it, when you need it. No if ands or buts about it. That video shows a way that can and does allow the reg to pop out of the bungee. Even if its on there tight, it can work its way out and then you've not meeting the above requirements for a backup reg. I used to dive with it this way, I thought it was super secure, then one day, it wasn't. Lesson learned.

The better solution is to put a simple overhand knot into each end of the bungee and then secure it under the mouthpiece ziptie, using pliers to tighten the ziptie to the max. This absolutely prevents the bungee from coming out.

The bungee needs to be just long enough for you to get the reg into your mouth. And longer and it dangles too much. I prefer mine up pretty tight, with just enough slack so the bungee isn't under tension when its in my mouth (if it were even a little bit shorter, it would be under tension). This keeps it up and out of the silt when moving through restrictions, prevents freeflows when in high flow/ scootering, and allows me to turn the mouthpiece forward when I'm scootin'.

That's your opinion. There are quite a few others, including some (but not all) GUE instructors, who have studied the same information and decided that's it's better to be able to get the reg out when you need to (on purpose) and reject the zip tie method for that reason.

Point being, viewed from your perspective, the zip tie is the safest way to go. Viewed from other perspectives, the double-fisherman's knot is the safest way to go. The reader should study both reasons and decide for themselves.

One thing we agree on, however, is that the prefab necklaces are NOT a good way to go.

For what purpose? The triple reg failure that renders your buddy oog and you with only your backup reg to share amongst both divers? That never happens, but a reg popping out does happen. You tell me which is better...

Being a gue istructor does not make you right. In fact, some are just wrong about some things, so I don't really get your point here.

WOW! Sorry, I didn't realize you were actually asking that question :D, this place is so full of smart a$$es I thought you were making some kind of off the wall tech diver style splitfin/spare air/oil/tire thread crack about a "yet another dumb necklace question" thread! :shocked2: Ooops

Anyway my questions were answered, glad yours was too...:)

BTW...the wing in your previous avatar looks just like mine.

And I caught hellacious flack from the Harley guys . . . still, a friend found it for me, and I liked it!

And Thank YOU for letting me ride on your "Necklace" question. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom