Regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bipolarbear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Grateful for some expert insight from the community here.

I am a beginner technical diver (TDI Trimix but only about 150 dives). Still have a long way to go before transitioning to CCR.

I am putting together my first doubles setup of my own. Halcyon backplate (overpaid, I know), Apeks Wing, etc.

I have the following first and second stages (already purchased):
  • 2x ScubaPro Mk25 Evos
  • 1x ScubaPro Mk19 Evo
  • 2x ScubaPro G260 (one normal, one with the carbon faceplate)
  • 2x ScubaPro R195
At the moment, I have a recreational/single tank regulator setup I really like diving, with the Mk19 Evo, the G260 carbon (on a long hose) and the R195 on a necklace.

I have an upcoming 2 week warm water trip where I will be taking my TDI Advanced Trimix course and also doing some recreational dives.

Were you in my shoes, would you either:
  1. set up the tech/doubles rig with 2x Mk25s and 2x G260s (meaning the recreational rig will have R195s as both primary and necklace); or
  2. set up the tech/doubles rig with 2x Mk25s, 1x G260 (primary) and 1xR195 (necklace)?
My tech diving will be 40 - 100m. My recreational diving will be <30m and within NDLs. I suppose it comes down to how 'bad' the R195 is as a primary second stage regulator for recreational diving. I want to ensure my tech dives are as safe as possible, but I also don't want my recreational dives to be compromised due to a poor regulator.

In my tech config I dive backmounted doubles so the necklace is a backup (as opposed to being a full time reg aka sidemount).

The easiest way would be to try myself but unfortunately I won't be able to get in the water until my trip and I'm trying to set everything up now.

Many thanks!

swapping a g260 over for single tank when you need it is trivial, just have everything tuned correctly to the same IP. but you still seem to be short on regs for the class. TDI standards require either 3 deco or 2 deco/1 stage, so you need 2 more first stages and another 2nd stage.

Reactions: L13
swapping a g260 over for single tank when you need it is trivial, just have everything tuned correctly to the same IP. but you still seem to be short on regs for the class. TDI standards require either 3 deco or 2 deco/1 stage, so you need 2 more first stages and another 2nd stage.
Thanks for the reply, that is a good point you make. Maybe swapping is the easy solution.

I will be using deco regs from the dive shop I'm taking the class with.

I would use option 2.
But, even better, buy 2 other G260 and get rid of those R195...
I never understood the appeal of having a reg to be used in emergency with worst performances than your primary reg...
And having all regs identical makes it easier servicing and swapping if required.

Just curious, but how did you make it to advanced trimix without ever setting up or having your own set of doubles? I know how that sounds, but I am truly curious.

Just curious, but how did you make it to advanced trimix without ever setting up or having your own set of doubles?
I don’t get not having his own regs, but if you travel to dive, I can certainly see not having your own tanks.

I don’t get not having his own regs, but if you travel to dive, I can certainly see not having your own tanks.
Fair enough, but I still will travel with my own harness, backplate and wing. What I'm getting at is training for advanced trimix without ever having set up a set of doubles isn't all that common.

Fair enough, but I swill travel with my own harness, backplate and wing. What I'm getting at is training for advanced trimix without ever having set up a set of doubles isn't all that common.
Oh, I missed that. OK, yeah, that is curious.

Just curious, but how did you make it to advanced trimix without ever setting up or having your own set of doubles? I know how that sounds, but I am truly curious.
Good question. Due to where I live at the moment it's not possible to dive locally. I dive every couple of weeks but it involves getting on a plane.

Traditionally if I'm tech diving I will use rental regs. The LDS I use most frequently has high quality Halcyon regs that I trust and am comfortable with. However, I've now reached a point where I'd prefer to use my own gear, hence the query. I still intend to use rental tanks/regs for travel/deco gas.

I already have and dive all other gear (backplate, wing, etc). This is just a new set. I travel with all my own gear except tanks and regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom