Nautilus Life Line from a divers and Captains view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At home I don't keep my camera housing 'sealed,' as I figure chronic compression of the o-ring might detract from its water-tightness 'on the job' when diving.
I read somewhere that's best, maybe in the instructions?
I wonder if most Nautilus Lifeline owners, and PLB owners with underwater housings, leave them 'locked up tight' all the time, or leave them open a bit (perhaps in a plastic bag, to keep dust out) when not in use?
I just went to check my camera and dive canister as I leave them closed tight when traveling so that they won't shake loose, but plan on opening both a little when I get home - but forgot! Fixed.
You mentioned replacing it every year or two; wonder how many people do that, with the PLB product you mentioned or the Nautilus Lifeline?
Yeah, probably the reason we read about leaks. Like I said, with a PLB, a little water inside won't hurt, but with the Nautilus it might. I really should replace the O-ring on my camera housing as it's several years old. Note: I do open the canister every day of a dive trip to check.

I prefer the older marine radio type, greater benefit in being able to talk to the boat. It is shame they don't make them anymore.
I agree. I have the old one. Both have some pros and cons. I like the size and replaceable batteries on the new one. I like voice capability of the old one. Both hve DSC, so that’s a draw.

AIS is good on the new one. Unfortunately DSC and AIS are both dependent on equipment on the receiving boat. But, both are becoming more prevalent on new equipment, so that’s good. Vast majority of recreational boaters don’t have their plotter networked in order to receive the signal on screen.

The old version gives the diver some non-emergency capability. For instance, If I surface tired and down current, I can call the boat on the chat channel (or 16) to ask for a pickup.

Either one is much better than nothing.

While the Nautilus Lifeline and PLBs are great tools, they’re no replacement for due diligence, good judgement, and a large SMB when diving in open water. An electronic device should be a backstop. It should, in no way, replace any of the above.

On that note I can’t tell you how many people I see in PBC with these skinny little 4 foot SMBs. I don’t know why the shops even sell them.

I can’t tell you how many people I see in PBC with these skinny little 4 foot SMBs. I don’t know why the shops even sell them.
They're better than no SMB. How many do you see like that?

I have one, when i purchased it on amazon a few reviews stated that it flooded. I have used mine for about 15 dives, mostly 30ft-50ft but 2 down just past 100ft and have not experianced any flooding issues yet.

And yes i have a very large DSMB that i attach with bungees near my tank so that it is out of the way and another small SMB in my BCD pocket. I also have a fox40 whistle (apparently the loudest one on amazon) a and signal mirror. I figured that they are so small i might as well have them with me, i dont even notice them while diving.

Nautilus Life Lines are an extremely valuable piece of gear. Myself and eight others are living proof of it, on Nov 15 2015 our boat capsized in the cold waters off Vancouver Island British Columbia. All our phones and other gear were lost when boat capsized, fortunately one person had a Nautilus Lifeline (older version with integrated radio) in their pocket and we were able to call for help. Since that day I don't get on a boat or in the water without one.
See link for the news article, I'm the one on far right of overturned boat.

On that note I can’t tell you how many people I see in PBC with these skinny little 4 foot SMBs. I don’t know why the shops even sell them.

Easier to shoot and get properly full from depth. A completely full thin 4’ is better than a 25% full wide 7’ IMO.

I carry two Halcyon DSMBs. A small one I use in good conditions when I’m reasonable sure the boat is nearby. I have a much larger one as well I use when seas are up. Since I always have both with me, even when I shoot the smaller one, I can also inflate the larger one later on the surface if there is a need.

I also have a small strobe and a wind storm whistle. I’ve not yet pulled the trigger on a Nautilus but I expect that I eventually will.

Included in this video is what the boat operator sees when a unit is activated
The only problem with this demonstration is that the operators boat has an AIS that can receive alerts. I have never seen a dive boat that has an AIS onboard, other than a larger livaboard. DSC VHF is much more common among dive boats, but of course you would have to find out what the boats number is and program that number into your unit for it to work.

It's a ResQLink something-or-other model--probably a model they no longer produce (which reminds me, it needs a battery change by now)

Probably a ACR-PLB 375. I can do the battery service if you are interested. :)

I carry all these signaling devices in my BCD pockets. All of them tethered together, so I won’t lose any of them when I pull them out of my BCD pockets.
B2297651-AEA8-4B18-A115-8E231CDDBC64.jpeg
2A6A2420-076F-42F1-9622-C2783C3FE8D0.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom