Nautilus Life Line from a divers and Captains view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK so assuming large swells, as long as one gets a brief window of transmission, the radios are smart enough to make it work? Sounds like a great system if so.

Much better than the old model and the AIS and DSC only need a flash signal from the beacon and it will stay on the plotter and radio until timed out , cleared or an updated signal is received. Even those carrying a 2 way radio have the same limitations. I know of some that carry a personal EPIRB and then you have to water proof it for scuba depths and be able to get to it. Agree not the best but much better chances than not having one.

I certainly agree that having a Nautilus Lifeline is better than not having any marine rescue device, but there are much better satellite rescue devices available. Of course, those devices are more expensive, and require a dive housing, but when I was looking for marine rescue systems, I asked myself "Is a couple hundred extra dollars for a satellite based PLB and dive housing worth greatly increasing the likelihood of being found?" For me it was a no brainer "yes", but every diver will have to make that decision for themselves and family.

I prefer the older marine radio type, greater benefit in being able to talk to the boat. It is shame they don't make them anymore. I have not and won't bother getting the new type, now if they incorporated a proper PLB too I might be convinced.

I prefer the older marine radio type, greater benefit in being able to talk to the boat. It is shame they don't make them anymore. I have not and won't bother getting the new type, now if they incorporated a proper PLB too I might be convinced.
Yeah, I'd love a scuba-depth-rated PLB, and if it had the AIS/DSC capability too, wow!

I asked myself "Is a couple hundred extra dollars for a satellite based PLB and dive housing worth greatly increasing the likelihood of being found?"

and family.
That 2nd bit got me thinking; if she takes up diving in years to come, what would I want our daughter to carry?

It would be very nice to see an instructional video, much like the one the OP shared, with a different subject; the sequence of events that unfolds when a lost diver activates one of these, with an emphasis on who responds. Ideally, with a compare and contrast between using a Nautilus Lifeline and one of the popular satellite-based PLB products you mentioned.

Another question is, to what extent does it matter where in the world you're diving when this happens? Was your drift dive in Cozumel or Komodo National Park? Does it matter whether you're in the Caribbean or the Philippines...or Raja Ampat? What about shore diving the east coast of Bonaire, where not many dive boats are active?

And is there a substantial duration difference? If 2 guys get caught in a severe current and whisked away, surface and activate their device while drifting at sea, with with the Nautilus and one the PLB...whose gadget is going to transmit the longest, and by how much?

DAN's Alert Diver Magazine would be a good place for such an article. I just Googled them but looks like they're momentarily down for maintenance.

What is better, PLB, AIS/DSC, VHF radio, cellphone, etc., has been discussed many times. My takeaway from those threads has been that, as @drrich2 mentioned, it depends where you’re diving, whether the boat operator monitors a radio or cellphone, etc. A satellite beacon (PLB) will likely get you found, but it may take many hours or days. Each of these devices has its pros and cons.

One problem in comparison is specificity. When someone says 'Nautilus Lifeline,' we know what that is, and that it's made for scuba diving. There's a common frame of reference. Especially as time goes on and the original is progressively less common. Watch that video and you've got the basics.

With the PLB, though, it's not a specific brand or model, and often not made for scuba diving. It's a category, and different people buy different ones, and use different DIY housing approaches to take on dives. If someone wants to explore the PLB alternative, it's time for research!

It's reminiscent of the standard jacket BCD vs. BP/W debates. The former is widely recognized; get one in your size, hook up and go dive. The latter is much more customizable and adaptable, but requires a long range of choices about back plate material, wing capacity and type (e.g.: horseshoe or donut), harness style, crotch strap, etc...

Sometimes 'easy' trumps 'better' in the marketplace. Does anyone know if there's a particular brand and model of PLB that is outstandingly popular amongst divers, common in usage, worth mentioning by name here for those interested?

One problem in comparison is specificity. When someone says 'Nautilus Lifeline,' we know what that is, and that it's made for scuba diving. There's a common frame of reference. Especially as time goes on and the original is progressively less common. Watch that video and you've got the basics.

With the PLB, though, it's not a specific brand or model, and often not made for scuba diving. It's a category, and different people buy different ones, and use different DIY housing approaches to take on dives. If someone wants to explore the PLB alternative, it's time for research!

It's reminiscent of the standard jacket BCD vs. BP/W debates. The former is widely recognized; get one in your size, hook up and go dive. The latter is much more customizable and adaptable, but requires a long range of choices about back plate material, wing capacity and type (e.g.: horseshoe or donut), harness style, crotch strap, etc...

Sometimes 'easy' trumps 'better' in the marketplace. Does anyone know if there's a particular brand and model of PLB that is outstandingly popular amongst divers, common in usage, worth mentioning by name here for those interested?

I like "easy," not to mention reasonably inexpensive. When I was in the market for a PLB, I went over to one of those PLB threads that @DandyDon likes to contribute to, saw what had been recently recommended, and bought one. It's a ResQLink something-or-other model--probably a model they no longer produce (which reminds me, it needs a battery change by now). Like most electronic gadgets, new PLB models will come along and then eventually head off to obsolescence. If I were to fret over which model is best, it would be superseded by a newer model by the time I pulled the trigger on the purchase.

I like "easy," not to mention reasonably inexpensive. When I was in the market for a PLB, I went over to one of those PLB threads that @DandyDon likes to contribute to, saw what had been recently recommended, and bought one. It's a ResQLink something-or-other model--probably a model they no longer produce (which reminds me, it needs a battery change by now).
I'm guessing the ACR 2881/375 as it was the one that floats. The ACR2880/375 was fine for land use, but a drifting diver in an emergency wouldn't want to risk fumbling and dropping the unit. The 2880 and the PLB1 RescueMe can be secured by using the lanyard to tie to the floatation pouch. All three models can still be found for sale in "new" condition, but you'd want to obtain the manufacture date as the 2880 & 2881 batteries are good for five years after manufacture, the PLB1 for seven, then it's time to have an authorized facility replace the battery and test the unit for around $100 or so. I recently saw a new PLB1 offer for $275 and free shipping.* I wish every diver, hiker, boat, and car carried one. I had my 2881 serviced once which lowered my average cost per year until I lost it.

Like most electronic gadgets, new PLB models will come along and then eventually head off to obsolescence. If I were to fret over which model is best, it would be superseded by a newer model by the time I pulled the trigger on the purchase.
They don't change often, nothing like iphones, but a new line was introduced a year or so ago. The ACR 2921/400 and ACR 2922/425 are fancier with some improved capabilities. I was still quite happy with my 2881, but when I lost it on a trip, I got a pretty good payment from my trip insurance and got the 2922 with the fancy View screen and a new canister from the UK.

Don't forget the minimal maintenance required...
  • Register the unit and renew that ever other year when NOAA sends you an email reminder, then replace the sticker.
  • Review instructions as often as needed and occasionally test the battery and less often the GPS tracking as instructed.
  • Lightly grease the dive canister O-ring with silicone grease as needed and replace it every year or two depending on how much you use it. If you wait until it leaks, you'll probably be fine as the unit is water-resistant and you shouldn't develop enough pressure inside to hurt it. I do open the canister every day of a dive trip to check.
*I was tempted to get the PLB1 as it's small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. The Acr 2922 I did get is small enough and rides easily in my car console, backpack, or dive canister, but if going cheaper and smaller will help anyone finally get their first, go here. When you order, watch for the discount code. Rescueme Plb1

DandyDon, thanks for the useful summary. At least now, people can see specific models and get a better idea what's involved in owning one. It gives people a much better place to start thinking from.
Lightly grease the dive canister O-ring with silicone grease as needed and replace it every year or two depending on how much you use it.
Got a question. At home I don't keep my camera housing 'sealed,' as I figure chronic compression of the o-ring might detract from its water-tightness 'on the job' when diving. But I don't worry about that at all where my dive computers and wireless transmitter are concerned. I wonder if most Nautilus Lifeline owners, and PLB owners with underwater housings, leave them 'locked up tight' all the time, or leave them open a bit (perhaps in a plastic bag, to keep dust out) when not in use?

You mentioned replacing it every year or two; wonder how many people do that, with the PLB product you mentioned or the Nautilus Lifeline?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom