MythBusters and stupid-diving-tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GottaDive:
The "best way to chill a beer" segment was by far the most usefull information that I have ever received on television. Ice, water, and salt brings a room temp. beer to 38 degrees in 5 minutes!!! ~Steve~

How much salt to water? :confused:

"They disproved a common belief about "whirlpools"; they simply don't exist in any major size- capable to suck down ships. "

Actually there was a very well documented "whirlpool" I belive outside New Orleans, complete with video tapes (I watched a show on Discovery about it).

Basically there was a salt mine very close to a lake or inlet or some body of water... The salt mine happened to run under the bottom of this body of water...

Some company was hired to do some exploratory drilling around the site, and somehow broke into the salt mine... Well we all know that water can disolve a LOT of salt in it, and so when the drilling equipment was removed the water started to do so.

After a while the water had disolved the salt until it broke into the open spaces of this large mine, and thus a drain hole was formed.

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd search for the event on google and post links :) But I do remember that several boats and barges ended up "sucked" down into the mine.

I like watching them. For me they are entertaining on any subject. If they get hurt then that's their fault, but for the most part I like the show.

rottielover:
OK, I'm not that lazy after all....

Lake Peigneur LA 1980
http://members.tripod.com/~earthdude1/texaco/texaco.html

wow!

sounds like the water in the lake drained instantly, but how long did water continue to flow down the canal and into the lake basin and down the hole?

I guess eventually the salt mine completely filled up and which means the lake re-filled?

(how long did all this take? ) days? hours? weeks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom