MythBusters and stupid-diving-tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
What is thought about these guys on Myth Busters TV Show and their stupid-diving-tricks?

On right now, they've got one of them in a huge tank with a several thousand-gallon-per-hour pump swirling the tank into a whirlpool, which could easily suck the diver down. Oh... they are depending on a "Spare Air" in case he gets sucked down.

Not to mention dangerous, but basically pretty freakin' stupid of them.

In past episodes, scuba related items were sucking a diver up with a pump used in firefighting helicopter, sinking a boat which is supposed to suck the diver down, and shooting a scuba tank (mentioned that one for WhalerKyle :D ).

I mean how crazy are some of the things they do that are scuba related?

I hate those guys scuba related or not...

mike_s:
What is thought about these guys on Myth Busters TV Show and their stupid-diving-tricks?

On right now, they've got one of them in a huge tank with a several thousand-gallon-per-hour pump swirling the tank into a whirlpool, which could easily suck the diver down. Oh... they are depending on a "Spare Air" in case he gets sucked down.

Not to mention dangerous, but basically pretty freakin' stupid of them.

In past episodes, scuba related items were sucking a diver up with a pump used in firefighting helicopter, sinking a boat which is supposed to suck the diver down, and shooting a scuba tank (mentioned that one for WhalerKyle :D ).

I mean how crazy are some of the things they do that are scuba related?

I have never seen them do anything that dangerous. The sucking up the diver one they used a dummy in the actual test. Shooting the scuba tank they had it all operated via remote and in an enclosed contained.

I don't think its that stupid

I, for one, have always been impressed by their concerns for safety and by their ingenuity. I do, however, question the validity of some of their tests and ultimate conclusions. But, by and large, I like them.

As to scuba, I am personally aware of two instances in which divers were sucked into water intakes just south of Marina Del Rey. One was sucked all the way into the input tank and survived. The other got wedged into the intake and died. Thus, while bizarre, their experiments are not beyond reason.

Sdiver2489:
I have never seen them do anything that dangerous. The sucking up the diver one they used a dummy in the actual test. Shooting the scuba tank they had it all operated via remote and in an enclosed contained.

This time they put Adam in the tank swirling around.....

Now it did have it's safety, but I thought it was questionable.

They hooked up a 200+ HP pump to the tank to swirl it with what appeard to be 8" to 12" pipes. Adam was given a "Spare Air" as life support in case he got sucked down.

He actually never got sucked down though.

They had him hanging on a 'trapeez' bar above his head and the whirlpool was spinning him pretty roughly. They stopped the test each time due to him being uncomfortable (which would be expected from anyone).

I never saw them mention any grating covering the 8" to 12" opening in the bottom of the tank that the 200hp plus motor was sucking into. It could have caused serious injury. They had a person ready to turn off the pump quickly though. But the "turn off" command had to be relayed down to them. I doubt you could get a Spare Air off your belt in a "vortex" and put it in your mouth that easily though.

I like the show, but I was suprised by the safety in this one.

BTW..... did anyone see the "best way to chill beer" episode? heh... That one was usefull to most of us. :D

I usually like the show. That particular segment sucked! (pun intended!) I laughed my butt off when he puked!

The "best way to chill a beer" segment was by far the most usefull information that I have ever received on television. Ice, water, and salt brings a room temp. beer to 38 degrees in 5 minutes!!! Now you don't have to watch the show. TV will rot your brain!

~Steve~

Back
Top Bottom