MythBusters and stupid-diving-tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm, yeah im confused, but thats not uncommon for me.

They so need me to star on that show. Heck, most of threre tests I have done already. I had an interesting childhood....The whirlpool episoid, I have run my boat through there three times, lots of fun!
Rember the "pyrotech" that tried to build a shape charge out of det cord to blow a hole in the side of a aircraft? There was no way in hell it could work as built and it did infact just blow a hole the size of the charge and not a nice neat shapecharge hole....Ya, I could show them a few tricks with explosives.

I loooove MythBusters. I think it must the most awesome job to be two grown kids with a budget to build stuff and test the wackiest, zaniest myths and urban legends out there today. I mean they're like kids with a toystore budget and a licence to blow stuff up some of the time, what more can a guy ask for? :D

As for their safety practices I think they have always put safety first in all the shows that I have seen to date and find them sometimes even going a bit overboard with the idea of safety, but hey, rather safe than sorry so going overboard on safety IMHO is A okay with me anytime of the year.

Some people here have questioned the validity of the conclusions that they have drawn from the experiments they've been doing and I agree that in some cases the conclusions just are not always supported strongly enough to my liking by the evidence, but then again what does it really matter? They usually do a great job at least casting doubt or providing plausible evidence for the probabilities that these myths have a high probability of impossibility or plausibility.

I think MythBusters rox!:D Play on guys, play on!
:coffee:

on the note of getting beer cold... at a local football game one of the paid advertisers consitantly opens up a scuba tank with no regulator to let the gas out as quickly as possible. the gas inside expands so quickly that it drops in temp quite a bit and literally puts a 1-2" layer of frost on a 3' section of the bed of the truck in about 20 seconds. do that to a 6-pack in a cooler and i imagine that would get it cold in a hurry.

fire_diver:
I like the show too. I usually find it very entertaining, but I haven't seen the whirlpool episode. I don't trust there results, but the show is fun to watch. I know of several "experiments" they have conducted, and gotten wrong results. Their graindust explosion, and truck gas milage with the tail-gate up or down come to mind right now.

FD

How do you know the tailgate up/down result was wrong? I did not see the graindust explosion, what did they test?

You have to give them a lot of credit for doing some things that many people have heard of. Many myths are absurd, but so is switching out your tank underwater. I saw the episode in question and I felt that they did pretty well for that particular myth. They disproved a common belief about "whirlpools"; they simply don't exist in any major size- capable to suck down ships.

What would you have done? It gave the show closure to show what it would do to a human... which they said it could be very possible for one of these to pop up, say from a sinking ship, and suck someone down.

The Spare-air? Mostly useless but I would rather have it than not, right?

I hope you saw the info on the fastest way to cool down a six pack... that is very useful info! CO2 fire extinguisher... or salt and ice water! Very good experiment!

GottaDive:
I usually like the show. That particular segment sucked! (pun intended!) I laughed my butt off when he puked!

The "best way to chill a beer" segment was by far the most usefull information that I have ever received on television. Ice, water, and salt brings a room temp. beer to 38 degrees in 5 minutes!!! Now you don't have to watch the show. TV will rot your brain!

~Steve~

I thought it was funny as hell when he hurled.... I was on the phone with my fiancee and I was laughing so hard she asked what was wrong....

Ok, I need to get this beer cooling technique explained to me... I try to watch their show regularly and darnit I missed this one!!! Figures!

Watch Mythbusters every week. Love it.

They tested various "techniques" for cooling six pack to 40 deg. including one that involved gasoline, sand, and fire! But the best way was spraying the six pack with a CO2 fire extinguisher, and the next best way was a mix of half water half ice and then salt into the slush. Six minutes to cool it down.

Tasting all that warm beer probably led him to puking in the whirlpool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom