My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
YouTube - 20101114 SM moved cam (5) Hover.MOV

This one was the last one of the day, with the bungees around the neck.

How is it the darned tanks keep 'slipping' backwards? I noticed the clips were at the bottom of the bar.

Then again . . . I just don't have that much turf between my armpit and my butt!

Rob - I'm trying to attach my cord to the rig. What is the item in the circle, please? I cannot tell if it is part of a tie or just a tuft..

It's just the seam of the shoulder pad.

Critique, please!

Looks good!

Okay, I'm posting the link to YouTube because it seems to load faster.

This isn't the best video, but it is important in that I unhooked the "over the valve handle bungees" and threaded them around each tank's neck. There's a bit of difference.

Initially, I tug on the tanks and such to pull them as far forward as possible, and confirm they are equal at 2000psi.

Also, I am still wearing two pounds on each shoulder.

It is a long video -- and I disappear as I struggled with the bungees. The pool inlet 'current' blew me off screen.

The last part is with the bungee completely around the neck of each tank, with each tank tugged forward.

Okay, for a "Thanks" click: who can identify an accessory that does not belong in this picture?!?!?!

I'm not sure what's going on with your left cylinder. It's hanging lower than the right, even after you wrap the bungee completely around the neck. Are they the same length?

What is that rectangular box hanging off the 'biner on your neck??

This one was before I moved the bungees off the valve. I put my thumb in the bungee and just stretched it over the valve handle. I did 'tug' the tanks forward a couple of times.

That left cylinder is still too low. Can't tell why from the video. Also, the cylinders definitely need to be positioned up toward your shoulders. Tighter bungees would help.

This one was the last one of the day, with the bungees around the neck.

How is it the darned tanks keep 'slipping' backwards? I noticed the clips were at the bottom of the bar.

Then again . . . I just don't have that much turf between my armpit and my butt!

Trim is much better with the snap bolts on the top portion of the door handles. Your problem is those bungees. They're not stable enough to hold the cylinders in place. One of the reasons I retired mine and went with loops.

And what's the deal with the yellow hose on the left cylinder? I realize some people advocate 2 long hoses but it's not really necessary and can actually cause more of a problem than anything else, especially when it's looped up like yours. :wink:

Nice video, I'm setting up my SM as we speak. Get rid of the boots. I'm using 2 30" miflex on easch tank and on my right tank I'm using a 7' miflex hose w/ octo for DB looped up with 2 hose retainers (Nice and Net) I'm just waiting on my buttplate and I'll be doing my pool dive in Dec.

What is that rectangular box hanging off the 'biner on your neck??

Ding - Ding - Ding - Ding --- We have a WINNER!!!

:rofl3: That's my Toyota 'keyless entry' key fob . . . . Can you believe it, it still worked after being immersed for 45 minutes????
Toyota rocks! :worship:

I stuck it there when I had my hands full unloading the car. I forgot it. :blush: :lol:

I'm not sure what's going on with your left cylinder. It's hanging lower than the right, even after you wrap the bungee completely around the neck. Are they the same length?

That left cylinder is still too low. Can't tell why from the video. Also, the cylinders definitely need to be positioned up toward your shoulders. Tighter bungees would help.

Trim is much better with the snap bolts on the top portion of the door handles. Your problem is those bungees. They're not stable enough to hold the cylinders in place. One of the reasons I retired mine and went with loops.

<sigh> I don't know what's up with the bungees. How about I swap them next time? If it is the bungee, the right tank should be lower.

Re: "the cylinders definitely need to be positioned up toward your shoulders." If I am oriented horizontally, do you mean the cylinders need to move further forward towards my neck, or that in general they need to move up towards my back and backside? Just making sure I understand.

Would a good 'test' be a double-ender clipped from the neck ring to the rig? That'll take the unevenness out of play.

Your loops -- are those shock cord or non-stretch parachute cord?

And what's the deal with the yellow hose on the left cylinder? I realize some people advocate 2 long hoses but it's not really necessary and can actually cause more of a problem than anything else, especially when it's looped up like yours. :wink:

Ugh . . . I could not tell the hose curled like that; I only knew it was tugging on my 2nd stage. I didn't move the hose when I moved the cam, but I believe I know how to re-route it.

I went to the longer hose because I couldn't get the shorter hoses to be comfortable. You've sold me on the right angle fittings, though . . . :)

Nice video, I'm setting up my SM as we speak. Get rid of the boots. I'm using 2 30" miflex on easch tank and on my right tank I'm using a 7' miflex hose w/ octo for DB looped up with 2 hose retainers (Nice and Net) I'm just waiting on my buttplate and I'll be doing my pool dive in Dec.

Two 2nd stage regs on your right cylinder?? :confused:

Ding - Ding - Ding - Ding --- We have a WINNER!!!

:rofl3: That's my Toyota 'keyless entry' key fob . . . . Can you believe it, it still worked after being immersed for 45 minutes????
Toyota rocks! :worship:

I stuck it there when I had my hands full unloading the car. I forgot it. :blush: :lol:

That's impressive!

<sigh> I don't know what's up with the bungees. How about I swap them next time? If it is the bungee, the right tank should be lower.

Re: "the cylinders definitely need to be positioned up toward your shoulders." If I am oriented horizontally, do you mean the cylinders need to move further forward towards my neck, or that in general they need to move up towards my back and backside? Just making sure I understand.

Further forward.

Would a good 'test' be a double-ender clipped from the neck ring to the rig? That'll take the unevenness out of play.

Your loops -- are those shock cord or non-stretch parachute cord?

Shock cord.

Ugh . . . I could not tell the hose curled like that; I only knew it was tugging on my 2nd stage. I didn't move the hose when I moved the cam, but I believe I know how to re-route it.

I went to the longer hose because I couldn't get the shorter hoses to be comfortable. You've sold me on the right angle fittings, though . . .

Right angle or longer hose. Pull the long hose all the way out and route it around your neck to the right side of your mouth. Mark the hose where it meets the right corner of your mouth. Measure that distance and buy that length hose. Subtract 2 inches for an angled fitting.

Right angle or longer hose. Pull the long hose all the way out and route it around your neck to the right side of your mouth. Mark the hose where it meets the right corner of your mouth. Measure that distance and buy that length hose. Subtract 2 inches for an angled fitting.

Okay, bunch of questions!!! :)

(Wondering if I should start a separate thread . . . )

1. Angled fitting or swivels? I have a friend who tried Edd's swivels and fell in love with them. :wink:

2. If angled - plain 90-degree, or a 70-degree?

3. Any favorite brands? Materials? anything else I should consider?

Okay, bunch of questions!!! :)

(Wondering if I should start a separate thread . . . )

1. Angled fitting or swivels? I have a friend who tried Edd's swivels and fell in love with them. :wink:

2. If angled - plain 90-degree, or a 70-degree?

3. Any favorite brands? Materials? anything else I should consider?
I am using a 70-degree on my primary reg, I cannot remember the brand, but it uses the same size o-rings as the hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom