My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the tanks were a little weird this time . . . usually the valves are equal, but this time it seemed like the right bungee was shorter or something. I've looked at all the videos and just don't get it.

I looked at the video from 10/24, and I don't see a difference in trim. I don't think that extra pound had any impact at all. Opinions?

It's difficult to tell, but the bungees do look like they are not routed the same. Look at the video from 2 weeks ago v. this video. Your right valve/1st stage is positioned differently in the 2 videos. In yesterday's, it's pointing in toward you. In the one from 2 weeks ago, it's pointing out to the side. Are you removing and replacing the cam bands between dives? If you are, next time you put them on and the cylinders sit the way they are supposed to, mark the position of the snap bolt with a permanent marker so you always put it in the same place every time. Also, after you get the cylinders on and descend, pull the valves up toward your head. You want the snap bolts to rest on the top portion of the door handles, not the bottom where they are in yesterday's video. That will help with your trim.

Are those jet fins? If so, you need to get lighter fins. Personally, I like the Dive Rite fins, but OMS Slipstreams are also light if you like that style.

What brand cylinders are you diving? What's their born date? Yes, it makes a difference. Not all cylinders are created equal. I have found the newer Asahi HP 100s are extremely bottom heavy and require a lot more trim weight at the shoulders to trim you out. You may not be able to correct your trim in those cylinders without making yourself over weighted.

Hope you get your leave in December. We could get all this fixed in ONE dive! :D

It's difficult to tell, but the bungees do look like they are not routed the same. Look at the video from 2 weeks ago v. this video. Your right valve/1st stage is positioned differently in the 2 videos. In yesterday's, it's pointing in toward you. In the one from 2 weeks ago, it's pointing out to the side. Are you removing and replacing the cam bands between dives? If you are, next time you put them on and the cylinders sit the way they are supposed to, mark the position of the snap bolt with a permanent marker so you always put it in the same place every time. Also, after you get the cylinders on and descend, pull the valves up toward your head. You want the snap bolts to rest on the top portion of the door handles, not the bottom where they are in yesterday's video. That will help with your trim.

:hm: I took everything off after the lake dive because of the silt. I'll look again.

Are those jet fins? If so, you need to get lighter fins. Personally, I like the Dive Rite fins, but OMS Slipstreams are also light if you like that style.

Yes, they're jets. My LDS does Hollis - what do you think of F1s?

What brand cylinders are you diving? What's their born date? Yes, it makes a difference. Not all cylinders are created equal. I have found the newer Asahi HP 100s are extremely bottom heavy and require a lot more trim weight at the shoulders to trim you out. You may not be able to correct your trim in those cylinders without making yourself over weighted.

Worthington HP100's, 3/10 and 4/10.

Hope you get your leave in December. We could get all this fixed in ONE dive! :D
Me, too!!!! :praying: The prospect gets dimmer as each day passes . . . :depressed:

What is your take on the extra pound of trim weight? Worth it, not worth it?

The Hollis fins are heavier than the Jets. Slipstreams are light and stiff, as are the Dive Rites. A little arch in your back might help keeping your knees up too.

Like ron says, F1s are heavy. The lighter the better. Worthingtons are okay. The cylinders aren't the problem. Until everything else is tweaked to where it needs to be, we make the decision on the extra trim weight. I always work everything else before adding weight.

The Hollis fins are heavier than the Jets. Slipstreams are light and stiff, as are the Dive Rites. A little arch in your back might help keeping your knees up too.

When trimmed properly, an arch isn't necessary.

Like ron says, F1s are heavy. The lighter the better. Worthingtons are okay. The cylinders aren't the problem. Until everything else is tweaked to where it needs to be, we make the decision on the extra trim weight. I always work everything else before adding weight.

When trimmed properly, an arch isn't necessary.

Okey dokey, you asked for it! I'm pulling out the pink Tusa's! :dance3:

I rotated the cam bands so the lower snap bolts are directly opposite the valve handle, so I'll give that a try on Sunday. I also lowered the cam bands about 3/8" to 1/2". Shall I drop the weights, since they don't seem to be doing much for me anyway?

And, I'll wear my Tusa's . . . they darn sure give me floaty feet in my single! :chuckle:

Actually, you want the snap bolts slightly back from that. If you are looking down at your cylinder from the valve with the handle of the right cylinder at 3 o'clock, position the snap bolt at 8 o'clock. Do the same using 9 o'clock and 4 o'clock for the left cylinder.

Don't mess with the weights right now. One thing at a time. I'm not even so sure you need to lower the cam bands at this point.

What kind of Tusa's? If they are the Xpert Splits, they're also pretty heavy.

The Nomad seems to be the way to go but it appears the universal mod is swapping the dump valve to the top of the wing and the inflation hose to the bottom on the wing.

Any unofficial word whether this will become a standard option/configuration??

I also noted the Nomad weight pockets on your back - How much ditchable weight if any are you diving with??

Thanks!
Dwayne

Last edited:
There's not much standard about sidemount. I doubt the hose swap will ever be an out of the box configuration.

There's really no need for ditchable weight. I'm usually overweighted, even in salt water, with just the steel cylinders. Adding ditchable weight would only overweight me more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom