My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just clip them on and jump in the water. I even jumped in with my sidemount cylinders, 2 deco AL40 cylinders and my scooter. It's not difficult at all. It was also much easier to climb back onto the boat at the end of the dive. With backmounted doubles, the high sitting weight pulls you back away from the ladder. With sidemounted cylinders, the weight is going straight down and makes you more stable.

Thanks Rob,

Your diving a Nomad also correct? I guess I don't give the Nomad enough credit for being able to support these loads.

So your clipping your valve onto the d ring that has the shoulder strap connection and onto the butt plate and using the bungee for moral support until your in the water?

thanks,

AC

Ive been BMing for a year and a half and had no issues of any kind, I've been on dives that range from 60' to 130'. Both SM and BM have the same amount of air. example: I used BM Steel 100's 3442 PSI. Now convert thoses to SM, you still have 3442psi. Now the one issue I have with BM is you blow a HP hose, 1. it will takes 15 min. to drain one tank, plenty of time to shut down the side that blew the HP hose. and shut down the Isolator Valve. 2. reaching for those Kobs are a pain in my shoulder. (wish I never went BM) In my own words SM is way easyer than BM. example: 1. Valves are in front of your face (you blow a HP 6"/9" hose shut it down in sec.) 2. Being Cavern Cert. don't have to worry about your valve(s) hitting the ceiling of the cavern. Been there done that. I'm makeing the switch to SM because of 1.old back issues and artritis in my neck. 2. I can now dive with two steel 100 tanks and a 40cu ft. pony on my dive buddies smalllll boats. (they need Bigger Boats). Ok I think im done rambling.

PS stop me if I'm wrong, but in cave diving shouldn't you have a bail out bottle at the entrance of a cave (just in case) You blow a HP Hose, shut down that tank, you abort the dive, now when you reach the entrance of the cave you grab your bail out bottle. (safty) :?

Ive been BMing for a year and a half and had no issues of any kind, I've been on dives that range from 60' to 130'. Both SM and BM have the same amount of air. example: I used BM Steel 100's 3442 PSI. Now convert thoses to SM, you still have 3442psi. Now the one issue I have with BM is you blow a HP hose, 1. it will takes 15 min. to drain one tank, plenty of time to shut down the side that blew the HP hose. and shut down the Isolator Valve. 2. reaching for those Kobs are a pain in my shoulder. (wish I never went BM) In my own words SM is way easyer than BM. example: 1. Valves are in front of your face (you blow a HP 6"/9" hose shut it down in sec.) 2. Being Cavern Cert. don't have to worry about your valve(s) hitting the ceiling of the cavern. Been there done that. I'm makeing the switch to SM because of 1.old back issues and artritis in my neck. 2. I can now dive with two steel 100 tanks and a 40cu ft. pony on my dive buddies smalllll boats. (they need Bigger Boats). Ok I think im done rambling.

PS stop me if I'm wrong, but in cave diving shouldn't you have a bail out bottle at the entrance of a cave (just in case) You blow a HP Hose, shut down that tank, you abort the dive, now when you reach the entrance of the cave you grab your bail out bottle. (safty) :?

No, we might have a deco bottle but we use gas management instead of a bail out bottle. I could be at max penetration, lose a bottle and still have enough gas to get safely back to the surface. Its all in gas management, take into consideration that diving 1/3rds is not always reserved enough. You have to take into account wether your divng high flow, no flow or siphons.

Thanks Rob,

Your diving a Nomad also correct? I guess I don't give the Nomad enough credit for being able to support these loads.

So your clipping your valve onto the d ring that has the shoulder strap connection and onto the butt plate and using the bungee for moral support until your in the water?

thanks,

AC

Yes, I dive a modified Nomad. It can support heavy loads. Keep in mind, the Nomad is just a Transpac (used for backmounted doubles) and a wing. I clip a bolt snap on static line to my lower shoulder d-rings as redundancy should my bungees fail and use the bungees to keep the cylinders tucked in where they need to be when in horizontal position.

:depressed: No pool for me this weekend. :crying:

Thanks for the entry discussion; it's been great! :)

:depressed: No pool for me this weekend. :crying:

Thanks for the entry discussion; it's been great! :)

That's okay. No pool for me either. Just Vortex and Peacock... :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Hi, all! :wavey:

Got in the pool today. Don't know where the list came from. . . . :shakehead:

Something weird about the right tank . . . it seemed to snug up tighter than the left tank, but I can't tell why. I checked and rechecked the bungies. :idk:

I zip-tied 2lbs soft weights to each shoulder strap. The old weights were 1.5 apiece.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom