My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes - and I've been following it since its inception. My SM rig (Hollis SMS100) is on order, and should be arriving soon.

And for James, one of the drivers for me to switch is that I've had shoulder issues from long ago (note Jax's comment about military, VA, etc.) that has dogged me since. I do aggressive stretching on all aspects of the shoulder, yet still have concerns about reaching all of my valves in BM in any but optimal situations.

I do concede that SM only solves CERTAIN issues relating to overhead diving, but for me this is a key one that prevented me from pursuing more advanced situations. I don't like to "press on" without knowing for certain that I am prepared, and not being certain of that has held me cold for several years.

And I might say that this thread is one of the very few I've noticed that has stayed on focus, hence worth following for this long.

Now, when will I receive that new rig.....

I don't think I said I didn't want to use it. Obviously there's lots of caves where I just have to. I just think an open discussion should focus on real pro/con's rather than this hypothetical completely OOA situation that's never happened in cave diving (except when using high ENDs).

Ah I see what you mean. I don't subscribe to the theoritical failures anyway. Yes in BM you could lose all your gas but unlikely and probably never happened to anyone. In my opinion its possible to lose 50% and only proper gas management is going to prevent you having to ask your buddy to share no matter which you dive. I think having my valves in front where I can see them is a big plus. IMO if someone wants to go solo, SM is the only way to go. I don't see any advantage in BM, for me. Its just hurts me the evening when we are done. I still think it would be easier offshore on a boat to use BM unless the boat was setup for SM. To me if someone is wanting to do SM in OW only thinking it will extend their bottom times I think they need to stop. If its because heavy doubles hurts them, I say give SM a try.

Now we're all acting like an isolator is an evil device with no statistical proof, when in all reality almost every gear failure that actually happens is better fixed in BM.
No one in this thread (or all of ScubaBoard) has ever called an isolator manifold "evil".

You point to "gear" failure as if gear is the only thing to fail. I like sidemount because of past diver failures: two failed Achilles tendons and resultant surgeries. I know for a fact that I could not have done that bypass tunnel in traditional back mount.

Don't put words or concepts in our mouths. Just because YOU assumed something incorrectly and are now coming to realize how fallacious that assumption was, does not mean the rest of us have made the same assumption.

No one in this thread (or all of ScubaBoard) has ever called an isolator manifold "evil".

You point to "gear" failure as if gear is the only thing to fail. I like sidemount because of past diver failures: two failed Achilles tendons and resultant surgeries. I know for a fact that I could not have done that bypass tunnel in traditional back mount.

Don't put words or concepts in our mouths. Just because YOU assumed something incorrectly and are now coming to realize how fallacious that assumption was, does not mean the rest of us have made the same assumption.

Now boys . . . :no: . . .

A BM versus SM thread would be fascinating . . . :)

:spit: Are you kidding me?!?!?!? :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Seriously, though, I have seen some points and counterpoints about backmount versus sidemount - like if a first stage blows, you can shut down the tank and still what's left of the gas (if I didn't screw that statement up; I'm going from memory), and sidemount - you'll "never" lose more than one tank, etc.

It would be a good debate . . . :)

I don't see it as much of a debate. It's all based around preference and risk assessment. Diving Backmount would limit me drastically.

I still think it would be easier offshore on a boat to use BM unless the boat was setup for SM.

You should give it a try. I just did 3 days of diving on the Oriskany off the M/V Spree. I'm not exactly sure how a boat could be set up for SM, but I can say I was the only SM diver on the Oriskany during this trip. Day 1 I was in backmounted 95s. Days 2 & 3 I was in sidemounted 108s. Days 2 & 3 were a lot easier on me, both getting geared up and into the water and getting back on the boat, even with larger cylinders!

You should give it a try. I just did 3 days of diving on the Oriskany off the M/V Spree. I'm not exactly sure how a boat could be set up for SM, but I can say I was the only SM diver on the Oriskany during this trip. Day 1 I was in backmounted 95s. Days 2 & 3 I was in sidemounted 108s. Days 2 & 3 were a lot easier on me, both getting geared up and into the water and getting back on the boat, even with larger cylinders!

Rob,

Can you give us details on how you kitted up on the boat and got into and out of the water? Tricks that I might use when I do it? All my sidemount (all six of them) have been shore dives. But I dive predominatly from a boat in the summer. And I am trying to figure out the best way to get in and out.

My plan was to sling the bottles over the side on two ropes. (to make it easier to retrieve) I planned to jump in and hook up alongside the boat. I had a rough water plan also. I was planning on slinging one over the side about 10 feet below the surface out of the wave action...(the right bottle because I have it outfitted with the long hose...which needs to wrap around me last.) and hook the left bottle on hanging it from the valve neck clip and the butt plate clip with the bungee there for moral support only. Jump in the water and float down to the other tank and hook up out of the rough surface conditions.

Or should I just clip 'em on and jump in the water? LOL

Is this a rediculous plan?:dork2: How did you do it? Love to have some good details. I may dive this week in Mexico and still trying to decide if I should take the Nomad or the b/p Wing.

Last edited:
I just clip them on and jump in the water. I even jumped in with my sidemount cylinders, 2 deco AL40 cylinders and my scooter. It's not difficult at all. It was also much easier to climb back onto the boat at the end of the dive. With backmounted doubles, the high sitting weight pulls you back away from the ladder. With sidemounted cylinders, the weight is going straight down and makes you more stable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom