My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh come on, expensive toys are the only kind to have. I just found my next expensive toy yesterday at DEMA!!! Already on the list for 2 out of the first production run!!!

Oh, now, that's mean! You can't just drop a line like that and run! :scorned:

:bounce3: What is it? What is it? What is it? :D

I have a 7mm with pockets -- not too bad in sidemount, but still a struggle.

I have XS scuba Highlander shorts with pockets. they have about a 4" piece of velcro . . . I could not get the stinking things open underwater with my tank messing with my motion. My grip was not strong enough to yank it open.

Of course, I'm okay on land with no tank . . .

Anyone ran into this? Is it just the newness?

Pockets and sidemount can be a challenge.

Try putting your elbow between the tank and your body,push the tank away with said elbow. You can then reach the pocket. Nor pretty but it works.

Brian Kakuk apparently uses a zipped pouch on his rear D ring. Takes the pouch off when he needs something from it. I tried that but it never really felt right.

Pockets and sidemount can be a challenge.

Try putting your elbow between the tank and your body,push the tank away with said elbow. You can then reach the pocket. Nor pretty but it works.

Brian Kakuk apparently uses a zipped pouch on his rear D ring. Takes the pouch off when he needs something from it. I tried that but it never really felt right.

:thumb:

I saw that in Jill & Brian's book. I've been toying with it . . .

Either as Ian suggests, arm between the tank to reach it or bring your knee forward such that your leg is bent at the thigh and is perpendicular to you body (hangs down but bent at the knee), and reach around the tanks to access the pockets. That works for many I have taught.

Best

P

Train Right!
Tec, Tech, Tek and Technical Diving Instruction.Deep Down, your training matters, so Train Right - Home
Diving Side Mount- recreational and technical instruction. Deep Down your training matters- Train Right! - Recreational Sidemount

I have XS scuba Highlander shorts with pockets. they have about a 4" piece of velcro . . . I could not get the stinking things open underwater with my tank messing with my motion. My grip was not strong enough to yank it open.

I have never needed anything out of my pockets while swimming so I just find a nice place to stop and unclip the rear of the tank. When done I clip it back. I only do that with my big tanks, I don't have any issues with small ones.

I have never needed anything out of my pockets while swimming so I just find a nice place to stop and unclip the rear of the tank. When done I clip it back. I only do that with my big tanks, I don't have any issues with small ones.

What, no spare mask in your pocket? :wink:

That's what I'm trying to work with, since I have to do a 'lost mask' exercise. Like I haven't done enough of those! :rolleyes:

I haven't been able to get in the water lately to play with my sidemount setup, but I see one change that I am going to make to it over the winter. I was at my LDS today and saw some rebreather valves on my instructor's tanks that he is using for sidemount Instead of getting left and right valves I can set up my tanks so the valves are just how I want that way.
teevalveblacknobackground.jpg

Can't wait to see pics of your setup, Brent!

In the meantime, this weekend:

1 - I swapped the bungees
2 - I shortened them maybe a 1/2", maybe more
3 - I played with the routing

Stills: 1st and 2nd are with regular routing.

2nd & 3rd - I pulled the tanks forward really hard, and released them gently. The kept settling backward.

On the last ones, I rerouted the bungees (assume an upright position) between the tank and me, and then around the neck and back to the clip. It was a heckofa struggle, but [-]you[/-] *I* can't get them any tighter. Then, (back horizontal) I pulled the spgs forward and held them.

BTW - this is with NO trim weight.

Attachments

• 20101121 Bungee Exp (1) Shortened.jpg
    20101121 Bungee Exp (1) Shortened.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 20101121 Bungee Exp (4) Shortened.jpg
    20101121 Bungee Exp (4) Shortened.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 20101121 Bungee Exp (15) Held for'd.jpg
    20101121 Bungee Exp (15) Held for'd.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20101121 Bungee Exp (17) Held for'd.jpg
    20101121 Bungee Exp (17) Held for'd.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20101121 Bungee Exp (26) Inside &  Held for'd.jpg
    20101121 Bungee Exp (26) Inside & Held for'd.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20101121 Bungee Exp (28) Inside &  Held for'd.jpg
    20101121 Bungee Exp (28) Inside & Held for'd.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20101121 Bungee Exp (31) Inside &  Held for'd.jpg
    20101121 Bungee Exp (31) Inside & Held for'd.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Can't wait to see pics of your setup, Brent!

In the meantime, this weekend:

1 - I swapped the bungees
2 - I shortened them maybe a 1/2", maybe more
3 - I played with the routing

Stills: 1st and 2nd are with regular routing.

2nd & 3rd - I pulled the tanks forward really hard, and released them gently. The kept settling backward.

On the last ones, I rerouted the bungees (assume an upright position) between the tank and me, and then around the neck and back to the clip. It was a heckofa struggle, but [-]you[/-] *I* can't get them any tighter. Then, (back horizontal) I pulled the spgs forward and held them.
I will post some pics when I put the valves on. I still for the life of me cannot figure out why you are having such a hard time trimming out. I guess when you get down to Florida to take your class with Rob, you will get that squared away.

As I am typing this I am looking at the pics and I am just wondering, what tanks are those you are using, I am wondering if they are bottom heavy, and a switch to a different tank/manufacturer would make a difference. I know my OMS 112's are heavy , but even with those tanks I still need about 8 pounds of weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom