My LDS Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenazah:
Wow, 4ft pool ?? I'd like to sign up for an advanced bouyancy technique class with this LDS.

We do buoyancy in a 3-4ft pool all the time... How deep is the pool you use?

I get at least 8 ft. But use the shallow end also.

Oh ok. Well our's is 10 at the deep end, but the shallow end slopes from 3-4ft. Deep side slopes from 4-10ft very quickly. Makes for great practice!

Zaffy:
Is that the place on Thousand Oaks Blvd.? next to that chocolate chop? If so I had a sort of questionable experience with them as well. They wanted $160 to service my mares mr12III regulator that I got as a hand me down. I thought to myself "That can't be right" so I left. Sport Chalet did it for about $30 or so. The guy I talked to seemed like I was bothering him just for being in the store as well. I haven't been back there even though my girlfriend works just down the street a block or so.

I went to that shop about two years ago & never went back.

Happy Diving
John

PerroneFord:
We do buoyancy in a 3-4ft pool all the time... How deep is the pool you use?
I guess I've been spoiled. The LDS that I go to use a local college pool. It's a diving pool 14 feet.

There are lots of shops in this area. I would definitely avoid Channel Islands Scuba in the future. Aloha just bought out Scuba Schools of America, so they have a third store in Woodland Hills that may be convenient for you if you're currently in the area of Channel Islands Scuba. There are also a bunch of shops in Ventura: Extreme Scuba comes to mind... (never been there, but I've see their ads in the local dive rag), along with the Peace Scuba Center, and perhaps Malibu Divers. And there's always Sport Chalet, although they don't carry much in the way of steel cylinders. SC, Aloha and Peace Scuba are the only ones I have personal experience with, however, on that end of the valley. As long as you do your homework first (starting here on ScubaBoard is best, IMO) and go in educated, any dive shop should do fine, however.

I also had a few bad expriences at Aloha's shop in Canyon Country which is closed now. Hmm it didn't make it.

Happy Diving
John

shark.byte.usa:
I'm sure the owner will be pleased to return and find his assistant has lost a $400 sale and the prospect of future sales, in addition to a bad rep for a $16.50 fill/viz. I'd definitely have a talk with him when he returns. As a matter of fact you should let him know of this thread so he can throw in his opinion, I'd be eager to hear his/her POV.
awap:
I wouldn't be so sure. I suspect that the assistent's behavior pretty much effects the owner's attitude. But it doesn't hurt to try.

I think now is a good time to chime in. Thank you to all who have posted with their experiences with this shop and advice. I believe that in this case, the attitude of the leader dictates the rhetoric of the underlings. There were a few other times where I experienced poor attitudes in this establishment. I have also recently found out that a close friend of mine, originally was going to get his cert through them and ended up getting a refund due to difficulties with the shop.

Robert Phillips:
Billy, you should have taken the tank back and told them that you wanted to return the air and the VIP sticker (since that was all they did to the tank) for a refund and "thank you very much but I will be taking this tank to another shop to pay for a VIP and an airfill, cause you guys suck ballz!":mooner:

Robert, I couldn't have said it better myself!

There is a current investigation underway with regards to their training. I will fill you all in if I find out the verdict.

scottfiji:
Thanks for sharing the experience Billy, sorry that happened. well, you did the right thing, you shared the story, and hopefully you won't go back.

I've seen two different shops in LA go out of their way to screw over customers they didn't like. Some owners do customer service by emotion instead of what is best for the business. I've seen those 2 owners overcharge some people for some stuff, and give free stuff to other people, depending on who they like. (Luckily the people screwed over wasn't me)

Don't know if that's what happened here or not, but its always good for people to chime in on whether a shop gives good service or not.

and I would expect any new tank to include the vis and air, of course.

Scott

Scott, Thank you for adding to this thread, It's a shame how some people choose to conduct their business.

JMdiver:
I also had a few bad expriences at Aloha's shop in Canyon Country which is closed now. Hmm it didn't make it.

Happy Diving
John

As far as aloha goes, I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. TJ in the Simi Valley shop has been amazing to me. I've received excellent treatment from Chris, and Aaron as well, who are mostly in the Northridge store. I never went to the Canyon Country store so I cannot vouch for that one.

I've spoken with Hal at Hollywood Divers on multiple occasions and would love to do business with him too.

Most of my gear was bought through www.scubatoys.com and everyone I've dealt with there has been top notch.

Billy

JMdiver:

Happy Diving
John

have you checked california dive company yet?

da squeeze:
have you checked california dive company yet?
Nice guys, based on a brief visit at the scuba show, but I think they're a little far away... (from the OP, that is, tho perhaps not from JMDiver in Newhall)

Back
Top Bottom