My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer to have independently adjustable shoulder straps and waist belt. Not DIR, but allows a lot of other benefits. For example, I have small Diverite weight pouches with looking triglides. That mean the shoulder straps cannot be pulled past a certain point thru the backplate. I also have a pouch on the front, so the buckle is offset.

On my shoulder straps, I used the xDeep bucke lit. It adjusts and can be released. The replacement webbing is more flexible than normal webbing so it can feed through the buckle. The stiffness of the webbing is what most people have a problem with that do not get a purpose designed kit like the xDeep.

Thank you for the information, but while I find some GUE concepts useful, I will not be taking Fundies or anything else from GUE. My reasons are private so I don’t start a war.

You wouldn't start an argument with me on the subject; I do not hold a single GUE certification (I am enrolled in a fundies class, but that's about my own curiosity). My recommendation was simply for some sizing tricks based on Lauren and Meredith being two diminutive (in stature) women that dive doubles regularly.

You wouldn't start an argument with me on the subject; I do not hold a single GUE certification (I am enrolled in a fundies class, but that's about my own curiosity). My recommendation was simply for some sizing tricks based on Lauren and Meredith being two diminutive (in stature) women that dive doubles regularly.

OK, thanks. Since I’m trying doubles now, the flood of “you MUST do Fundies” has started again. Folks, give it a rest. I’m not doing Fundies now or ever. Fundies is not “one size fits all.” I may have to start adding to my ignore list if folks don’t leave the topic alone. I am sick and tired of the insistence on Fundies. Period.

OK, thanks. Since I’m trying doubles now, the flood of “you MUST do Fundies” has started again. Folks, give it a rest. I’m not doing Fundies now or ever. Fundies is not “one size fits all.” I may have to start adding to my ignore list if folks don’t leave the topic alone. I am sick and tired of the insistence on Fundies. Period.
Seems like you wouldn't get anything out of it anyways.

Seems like you wouldn't get anything out of it anyways.

It would not be a good fit for me. That’s rather different from “You wouldn’t not get anything out of it.” I’m being rather firm because I’m extrmely tired of people trying to push me that way. The only thing that stopped it for a while was me doing SM. Now that’s past, that’s started up again. I get PMs with people telling me. “Fundies, Fundies, Fundies.”

Maire

I haven't read the complete thread.

If I was giving you advice. I would say get the set trimmed comfortably, so that it is not tipping you head down or feet down.
You should be able to do shutdowns. Although I have known those that can't, (often)due to injury, their solution, diving manifolded set closed as if they where independents. An alternate option is to dive inverted twins, making shutdowns easy, but requiring custom hoses.
Sidemount also makes shutdowns easy. Although the significant issue of being unable to scavenge gas from a cylinder with a regulator problem (same issue as independent twins).
Good Buoyancy skills, which also goes back to good trim.
Being able, to do other skills, whilst maintaining good buoyancy.
Comfortable with regulator switches.

In my neck of the woods, being able to deploy a DSMB with little thought, and without effecting you buoyancy. They tend to get used on most dives.

Most of this goes back to being comfortable in the water, relaxed, and in control.

Gareth

I would really really like to know why you have such an aversion against Fundies. But anyway.
I was blown away after Fundies and it really changed my diving.
But to contribute something to this thread, there were issues that were not remedied during fundies and those were setting up my harness and shutdowns. I am a fellow cold water diver.
My "fundies tightness" for shoulder straps was really thight, like 1,5 fingers, not a balled fist. Back then I also used an undersuit (Santi...) that restricted my movements. This together with overtight harness made shutdowns painful. The harness was also so tight that it hindered air release from drysuit during ascents. I respect my fundies instructor very much, but these settings (made during the course) were not correct for me and this instructor was also not able/willing to recognize/admit these problems.
Later after consulting other instructors, loosening my shoulder straps and switching to different undersuit I don't have problems with my shutdowns anymore.

So, my advice for shutdowns (and I dive in conditions colder than Great Lakes). Start practicing shutdowns in a warm pool with minimal undergarments that don't restrict your movement for sure. Also without gloves. Some people are against this approach, but it worked for me. Loose enough shoulder straps that you can be sure are not causing any problems (a balled fist is definitely enough). Once you are comfortable with your valve drill this way start adding undergarments and drygloves piece by piece. If you get into problems, you at least know what caused them. Even then it may always be either your undergarment or the drysuit which is too small after you add a layer.
You may have to make changes to your drysuit or undergarments. Something that is perfect for sidemount or rebreather may be too restrictive with BM doubles.

taimen, I think one of Maria's issues with DIR, is that they have a rigid structure, both in terms of equipment configuration and training.

In my previous reply, I had forgotten that Maria dived side mount. Not because it's fashionable. But in her particular case, wearing a large twinset is not feasible. As such, DIR is so inflexible, that they wouldn't accommodate this.

There are many positives with DIR, but the rigid structure makes it impossible for many to take advantage of what they have to offer.
Sometimes, their rigid approach traps them in non optimal configurations.
Often, DIR's biggest problem, is not what they offer, but what is said to others in their name.
As an example "you are going to die, diving that configurations".
DIR have many positives, if nothing else, they have focused other agencies on improving buoyancy tuition and technique.
However, they where devised, in the caves of Florida. Occasionally, their approach is not the optimal approach, either for the environment, or for some individuals. Following an alternate approach may well prove a better solution in some cases. (Look at the team that rescued the soccer team in Thailand - not quite DIR).

(Hopefully, this has not come across as a DIR bashing post.)

taimen, I think one of Maria's issues with DIR, is that they have a rigid structure, both in terms of equipment configuration and training.

In my previous reply, I had forgotten that Maria dived side mount. Not because it's fashionable. But in her particular case, wearing a large twinset is not feasible. As such, DIR is so inflexible, that they wouldn't accommodate this.

There are many positives with DIR, but the rigid structure makes it impossible for many to take advantage of what they have to offer.
Sometimes, their rigid approach traps them in non optimal configurations.
Often, DIR's biggest problem, is not what they offer, but what is said to others in their name.
As an example "you are going to die, diving that configurations".
DIR have many positives, if nothing else, they have focused other agencies on improving buoyancy tuition and technique.
However, they where devised, in the caves of Florida. Occasionally, their approach is not the optimal approach, either for the environment, or for some individuals. Following an alternate approach may well prove a better solution in some cases. (Look at the team that rescued the soccer team in Thailand - not quite DIR).

(Hopefully, this has not come across as a DIR bashing post.)
Such baloney.

The class is a few days long. Is it really that hard for people to check their ego at the door and listen to what someone has to say for a few days? Can't wear a heavy twinset? Who cares? Do it in a damn single tank.

There's thread after thread after thread of people who can't sort out the FUNDAMENTALS. Buoyancy, trim, propulsion, setting up basic technical diving equipment (harness, backplate, wing). They sit there and struggle rather than learning from a professional for a few days.

Furthermore, its not like you can't go back to doing whatever diving methods (or lack of methods) you were doing before just because you take the course.

Such baloney.

The class is a few days long. Is it really that hard for people to check their ego at the door and listen to what someone has to say for a few days? Can't wear a heavy twinset? Who cares? Do it in a damn single tank.

There's thread after thread after thread of people who can't sort out the FUNDAMENTALS. Buoyancy, trim, propulsion, setting up basic technical diving equipment (harness, backplate, wing). They sit there and struggle rather than learning from a professional for a few days.

Furthermore, its not like you can't go back to doing whatever diving methods (or lack of methods) you were doing before just because you take the course.

I apologise if I got this wrong. I did look at doing "Fundies", but was told that with out compliant kit I couldn't attend.
Which was disappointing, I have always enjoyed improving my diving, and felt that I would have benefited from the experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom