My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But in her particular case, wearing a large twinset is not feasible. As such, DIR is so inflexible, that they wouldn't accommodate this.
Is there a minimum size of twin set required for fundies? Twin HP100/LP85? Twin AL30s/AL40s/LP50s/AL72/...?

Beyond "Contingent on environment and diving activity" which during fundies is not an overhead environment where supplying sufficient max penetration exit air for a buddy with higher RMV is crucial.

I apologise if I got this wrong. I did look at doing "Fundies", but was told that with out compliant kit I couldn't attend.
Which was disappointing, I have always enjoyed improving my diving, and felt that I would have benefited from the experience.
You mean without the gear they’re teaching you can’t learn the gear they’re teaching?

Shocking.

I apologise if I got this wrong. I did look at doing "Fundies", but was told that with out compliant kit I couldn't attend.
Which was disappointing, I have always enjoyed improving my diving, and felt that I would have benefited from the experience.

Hi Gareth.
If you’re still interested in doing fundies we have some great instructors in the UK and most of them are willing to lend or rent out kit for the class. :) I’d recommend giving Rich Walker an email.

Many Fundies instructors also have kit to loan. While you are learning GUE concepts they are not totally reliant on you having a BPW with big blue H's all over it. Fundies can be taken in a single tank.

You won't get a tech pass but if you're not planning on pursuing GUE training after who cares. You can still get a Rec Pass and learn a helluva lot about BASIC skills that the vast majority of divers did not get in the OW or AOW classes.
I haven't taken it simply because of the time. I don't have it right now, but if I did, I would.
I've got an invitation to join a class whenever I want.

I teach AN/DP and Advanced Wreck. I know I'd still learn from a Fundies class because I have an open mind and the right attitude. I'm not afraid of having deficiencies I was not aware of identified and being given a path to correct them.
It's why I take a class from someone every year in a discipline I previously haven't. If nothing else, to learn new instructional techniques or how not to teach.

This year I had a blast taking a freediving course. Didn't get the card because a bad tooth prevented me from hitting my target depth by half a meter. That's fine. I did get a 2 1/2 minute breathold and know I can get up over 3 minutes with practice now that I know the right way to go about it.

Now there are some classes I simply would not consider if they were taught in a by the book run of the mill manner.
But if I could take a Shark specialty class with Dr Sylvia Earle I would. One offered by someone who did a weekend workshop to offer it? Not in a million years.

Refusing to take a class that has a proven track record of vastly improving divers skills is short-sighted when there are numerous instructors who can do the class in a manner suitable to the student. There may be personalities involved where the student and instructor just don't mesh. That's why there are others and a thing called the phone to call and talk to them to see if there's a connection.

Even if you don't get a card, if you have an open mind and a willingness to work, you will learn more than you think. Or realize at the time. The improvements may come a month down the line, but they will eventually show up. With a closed mind? It's likely to be nothing but frustration and numerous posts answered by people who have never actually seen the person posing the question in the water. Giving advice that leads to more frustration and numerous gear changes that do little.

Instead of getting quality instruction from a qualified source.

You mean without the gear they’re teaching you can’t learn the gear they’re teaching?

Shocking.

I am now confused, @PfcAJ, you seemed to infer that I was wrong in my belief that you needed DIR compliant kit, to do 'Fundies' your second post now seems to say you do need DIR compliant kit. So I am not sure where you felt my original post was inaccurate.

I was not taking a pop at DIR, it has many strengths and I certainly am likely to learn something from it. It may not suitable for all.

Jim posted above during the period I was writing my reply. His attitude is very similar to mine. I would have done Fundies at the time, because of the opportunity to learn - unfortunately it was not to be.

I am now confused, @PfcAJ, you seemed to infer that I was wrong in my belief that you needed DIR compliant kit, to do 'Fundies' your second post now seems to say you do need DIR compliant kit. So I am not sure where you felt my original post was inaccurate.

I was not taking a pop at DIR, it has many strengths and I certainly am likely to learn something from it. It may not suitable for all.
Scuba tank (everyone uses scuba tanks to scuba dive), backplate (ultra common), wing (pretty darn common), and some regs (everyone uses regulators to scuba dive).

Its not like the equipment list is something wacky, guys.

further along the lines of what AJ said.... When I took fundies, I did it to become a better diver. I did not want any of the Kool-Aid, but I figured I would sip it during class to get the benefit of the training. The first class that I took I did not actually get much in water time but I was surprised to find that I was interested in GUE. The second class that I took was everything I was looking for in terms of learning to become a better diver.

I have had plenty of friends take the class improve their skills and never take another GUE class again. No one asks anyone for a signature in blood or their firstborn/ it’s not a cult.

Such baloney.

The class is a few days long. Is it really that hard for people to check their ego at the door and listen to what someone has to say for a few days? Can't wear a heavy twinset? Who cares? Do it in a damn single tank.

There's thread after thread after thread of people who can't sort out the FUNDAMENTALS. Buoyancy, trim, propulsion, setting up basic technical diving equipment (harness, backplate, wing). They sit there and struggle rather than learning from a professional for a few days.

Furthermore, its not like you can't go back to doing whatever diving methods (or lack of methods) you were doing before just because you take the course.

Scuba tank (everyone uses scuba tanks to scuba dive), backplate (ultra common), wing (pretty darn common), and some regs (everyone uses regulators to scuba dive).

Its not like the equipment list is something wacky, guys.

That was my irritation, at the time.
My standard kit was; Twin steel manifolded twins, or single steel. Backplate and diverite wings, poseidon reg's, DUI drysuit, mix of different types of fins.
So pretty close to DIR.

Since then I seldom dive OC, having switched to CCR. These days I would potentially struggle to do a shutdown having badly smashed up my shoulder quite badly.

Funnily enough, I never planned to switch to CCR. I only took the MOD1course so that I was familiar with CCR because of the number of people I was diving with who where using them.

I can't stop laughing. Here we have a thread where the OP has stated she has no interest in "fundies" and it then gets clogged up with "fundies" posts.

Carry on.

I sense that @Marie13 's thread is taking an unwanted detour. I would suggest that this is not the way to sell DIR concepts to her. None of you have the insidiously gentle skills that TSandM had. She and I had some wonderful 'rib-poking' posts concerning her skills. Miss her madly. Your best evangelist ever.

I've long been on record as being DIR (Now GUE) 'friendly'. I dive a Hogarthian-ish rig and as far as I can determine W. H. Main is known to experiment and change gear configs. Note the word 'change'.

There is a lot of 'looking good' and team karma in DIR. As I was told long ago, stop screwing with your rig and go with what works so you can fit in. Well, I tried to suck it up but very shortly found that a long hose is just plain stupid for a solo diver. I also love a Freedom Plate and the DIR gurus denied Eric their blessing. Why???

Calm down darkside, you are doing yourselves a disservice by continuing this...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom