My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no clue who the heck Meridith is. No urge to do Fundies. August is booked - ITT in the Great White North and diving the Great Lakes every chance I get.

Meredith Tanguay. She's a GUE instructor (Fundies, Tech 1, Cave 1) and splits time in North Florida / Hawaii, but travels a fair bit too.

Lauren Fanning may be another GUE instructor you may consider talking with for harness sizing and some tips. Lauren works for Halcyon and although she's a smaller woman, she regularly runs around cave country with double 104's on her back. Full disclosure, I'm friends with both Mer and Lauren and I'm signed up to finish Fundies with Lauren in March (I'm doing the first half in Bonaire, starting tomorrow actually).

Personally, I use thread rod instead of bolts as it allows for a wide range of adjustment.

YMMV

EDIT: I can't touch the top of the plate with EITHER one. Working on my flexibility!

If you put your forearm against the back of your head you can use it to push your arm a little further back.
It might be enough to comfortably reach your valve

Personally, I use thread rod instead of bolts as it allows for a wide range of adjustment.

YMMV

Then there’s the option of just schlepping my tanks into the shop and asking them to do it. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has had this issue.

Perhaps a cheap pair of bolt cutters to size them down? Sandpaper to finish, if needed.
That doesn't seem like a good idea to me--too much chance of damaging threads beyond repair, or actually flattening the bolts.
I've cut more bolts than I like to remember. If you have a threading die with the same dimensions as your bolt, you're lucky. Thread the die onto the bolt, then cut the bolt with whatever cutting device you have available. Hacksaw, cutting disk, dremel, use what you have. But don't use a bolt cutter, it'll probably pinch the bolt. There will be edges preventing the nut to enter onto the bolt. Use a file or another tool (dremel, grinding wheel, use what you have) to remove those edges. The threads will be fouled, preventing the nut to enter onto the bolt. Screw the die off the bolt, and presto! The threads are clean again. If you don't have a threading die, you can use a nut instead (I'd recommend not using a locking nut, though), but the bolt end won't be as clean. It'll probably be good enough.

Meredith Tanguay. She's a GUE instructor (Fundies, Tech 1, Cave 1) and splits time in North Florida / Hawaii, but travels a fair bit too.

Lauren Fanning may be another GUE instructor you may consider talking with for harness sizing and some tips. Lauren works for Halcyon and although she's a smaller woman, she regularly runs around cave country with double 104's on her back. Full disclosure, I'm friends with both Mer and Lauren and I'm signed up to finish Fundies with Lauren in March (I'm doing the first half in Bonaire, starting tomorrow actually).

Thank you for the information, but while I find some GUE concepts useful, I will not be taking Fundies or anything else from GUE. My reasons are private so I don’t start a war.

Due to limited space and what-not. You could put your wing and plate on the tanks, measure how much too long the bolts are, and run to the hardware store to buy bolts that are the right (or very close to) length. Swap em out one at a time.

DW

Who assembled your doubles, was it a shop or DIY?

I ask because a shop should never assemble those bolts so that they extend proud of the surface of the tanks on each side. If you take a straight edge and lay it on the tanks at the bands and the bolts should be below that straight edge.

boltkit.gif

Who assembled your doubles, was it a shop or DIY?

I ask because a shop should never assemble those bolts so that they extend proud of the surface of the tanks on each side. If you take a straight edge and lay it on the tanks at the bands and the bolts should be below that straight edge.

View attachment 495702
Yep. The first time you catch your shin on a bolt on bare doubles walking past you appreciate the wisdom of that.

Your car or pickup bed will also thank you.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom