My Jets are about to die :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
I heard back from the shop this morning - Jet fins do not have a lifetime warranty according to them ... but they'll make me a deal on a new pair lol - no thanks

Tim,

The SP rep was at one of the LDS recently and was going on about how they would take care of you. He even went as far as to say that if you have SP regs that missed the annual service, they will make exceptions and honor the parts for life warranty.

I would tend to think that asking the right person would get you the kind of service you should be getting.

Mary (owner of my LDS) just went around with SP on this. She has catalogs going back forever & they all say "gauranteed for life expect for the straps", yet now SP is claiming only from 2001 on.

She suggests you call their 800 number & talk to someone, then go back to the LDS. Of course, your LDS is gonna have to actually, yanno, give a damn & work with you. They may well require the original receipt, but SP has been on a kick o f"make the customer happy", so if you want them covered, you need to point out to them (both Sp 7 the LDS) that this is the whole reason you bought from the shop rather than Leisurepro & if they're just going to screw you, you may as well just take all your new purchases to the net & to hell with the whole authorized dealer crap anyway bc it's not making you happy.

And if that doesn't get someone off their azz to take care of it, do just that.

thanks guys - I just shot an email off to SP to see what they say (thanks for the email wayward) - unfortunately it's not my usual LDS - only thing I buy from these guys is my Jets and lead weight. So it's not much of an issue to them if they lose my business :(

btw I switched to my Turtles for my last swim test earlier this week (a 50ft freedive) and when I hit 30ft I knew I was not going to get anywhere close, so I turned back up - I never realized how much stiffer Jets are over Turtles. I'd say they give me an extra 10ft just due to the blade stiffness. At least this was an optional swim test and I passed all the others with flying colors...

Well, I hope they get it resolved. It disturbs me that they haven't already.

But, LP sells them for about $65 per pair & used ones are frequently on ebay for even less.

Pleasant surprise - Since speaking with Maui Dive Shop yesterday they decided to send my fin into SP despite SP saying they were not covered under warranty. Speaking with them today he said they had found a 2004 stamped on the fins and that "a pair of fins should last more than 2 years." ... I agree :wink:

So I still don't know what SP's response will be, but my expectations have been exceeded by Maui Dive Shops service. Apparently they have really gone to bat with SP on my behalf...

Mahalo again for all your recommendations/help

Tim

It's great to hear that MDS is working for you....sometimes that's the best we can do, but it's better than nothing. I hope that SP steps up and replaces your Jets...even my cheap US Diver's fins lasted almost 12 years, and they were mostly plastic!

kidspot:
Slowly over the last 50 dives or so my Jet fins have been "splitting" and today I noticed they had split completely through one of the "ribs" ... I was hoping they were going to last 20+ years instead of 2 :(

Is this a common problem? Any way to fix or prevent it?

You would be surprised what an email to the manufacturer
will do nowadays.

Try it and politely ask if this is normal.

Corporate pride should kick in quite fast an
rain resolve on your problem.

:D

I tried an email, but it came back as undeliverable ... still it sounds like the LDS is going to bat for me with the manuf. So I'll give them some time to work out what's going to happen.

Thanks for the advice though -

kidspot:
btw I switched to my Turtles for my last swim test earlier this week (a 50ft freedive) and when I hit 30ft I knew I was not going to get anywhere close, so I turned back up - I never realized how much stiffer Jets are over Turtles. I'd say they give me an extra 10ft just due to the blade stiffness. At least this was an optional swim test and I passed all the others with flying colors...

Now go out and get a decent pair of freedive fins. They are consdierably better for freediving than jet fins. They are also far superior than jets for open water swimming with scuba gear in my experience. I only use the jet fins for what I call "working" dives which don't involve much swimming.. Cressi sub 2000 hf are very decent and cheap freedive fins.

dumpsterDiver:
...They are also far superior than jets for open water swimming with scuba gear in my experience...

I disagree. If you frog kick, there's no better fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom