My Jets are about to die :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Slowly over the last 50 dives or so my Jet fins have been "splitting" and today I noticed they had split completely through one of the "ribs" ... I was hoping they were going to last 20+ years instead of 2 :(

Is this a common problem? Any way to fix or prevent it?

I still have my old jets and they are still in great shape, but about 6 months ago I bought a pair of twin jets. They are great, but they are not jets!!!

So does this mean that I will soon be returning to using my old jets again?

Try shoe goo. I did about 25 dives after applying some on a (rubber) rocket fin and seems to hold.

They're now a new set of Twins...

Can you post some photos, Tim? I have an old pair of jets I acquired and I would never guess that they would split. Those things just seem indestructable!

I have broken atleast 6-7 SP jet fins over the years, The ribs will rip/break perpendicular to the long axis of the fin. Scuba Pro dealers will NOT give me new fins, since I have made a number of inquiries. They are tough fins, but I tend to abuse the gear when I get in a "war" while spearing fish.

I have also used shoe goo/aqua seal to repair them and it seems to work for a little while. I now use freedive fins for most scuba dives and I like them much better for typical swimming.

My LDS has replaced a few Jets for people over the years. They tell me it's rare but does happen. The last one she mentioned had something go bad in a foot pocket.

Back
Top Bottom