My first time at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasteve1982

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After 100+ dives in the Caribbean in the last two year since I became certified. I decided to give my local diving a try. Sunday was my first cold water experience. I can say I now have a respect for you local cold water divers. But I also think you guys and girls have a few screws loose. Don't take that the wrong way. I just think you're crazy.

I'm planning on giving the Atlantic a try later in the summer. As for quarry diving, I'm hanging it up. I guess it's good for practice but I wouldn't say it was fun. Good experience but thats about it. Power to you cold water people. I'll stick to warm, clear, full of life waters!

That is all!

Were you diving a 7mm? If your planning on diving the North Atlantic alot you may want to concider a dry suit.

You should have been there in April when the surface temp was about 45 degrees.

Standing around an old charcoal grill is a nice way to warm up your wetsuit after a dive.

I was diving a 7mm, wet suit, Hood, and gloves. I used my warm water boots which wasn't that bad but I'm sure if I had some thicker boots I would of been warmer. It was fun, but it just seemed to be a lot of work to go diving. I'm more of a relaxed Caribbean diver. I'm going to Cozumel in a couple of weeks. Now I'm really looking forward to 83F+ water!

Holy cow... I'm supposed to dive there at the end of July... what should I expect for surface and bottom temps? Thoughts on what I should wear at that time of the year? My training that weekend calls for 3 dives/day for 2 days.

Thanks!

Holy cow... I'm supposed to dive there at the end of July... what should I expect for surface and bottom temps? Thoughts on what I should wear at that time of the year? My training that weekend calls for 3 dives/day for 2 days.

Thanks!

Dutch Springs - Weather and Water Temperature

Surface will be warm. Below 30 feet starts to get chilly. Below 60 feet and it's always cold. I always advise divers to wear as much neoprene as they can tolerate at DS. You won't regret it.

Ok - thanks. I was planning on diving a full 5mm suit + 3mm vest/hood combo. I hope that will be enough!

Scubasteve1982,

Good on you for atleast giving it a try more then some do. Below 30 it starts to get cold. I dive everywhere in my Drysuit but you can still get cold/Feel the cold. Next time you head to caolder waters maybe rent a Drysuit if you have not tried one out. I know IVS is up there almost everyweekend doing Drysuit demo's

The viz was the worst I have seen it in a long time. One thing for sure is my skills are a 1000x better then if I never put the time in the water.

I go to dutch quite oftem...with a full 7mm, hood, gloves, it's not bad in July, August and September. I'm going up this weekend...I'll let you know how it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom