My first time at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 100+ dives in the Caribbean in the last two year since I became certified. I decided to give my local diving a try. Sunday was my first cold water experience. I can say I now have a respect for you local cold water divers. But I also think you guys and girls have a few screws loose. Don't take that the wrong way. I just think you're crazy.

I'm planning on giving the Atlantic a try later in the summer. As for quarry diving, I'm hanging it up. I guess it's good for practice but I wouldn't say it was fun. Good experience but thats about it. Power to you cold water people. I'll stick to warm, clear, full of life waters!

That is all!

What is it that you didn't like? Diving in the quarry is a great and economical way to work on your diving skills. Were you cold? If you are there with the right people you would enjoy yourself. If you are ever up there again, contact me. We will figure out how to enjoy yourself there.

Since we've had this little heat wave, have the water temps risen? How was it this weekend?

Since we've had this little heat wave, have the water temps risen? How was it this weekend?

It was high 70's on the surface and 55-60's at 30-40 feet.

My story is similar to yours in that I checked out in the Bahamas and had zero cold water experience until I started diving Dutch Springs. Once I started diving, I found that I enjoyed it, nice people and a well equipped facility. I agree with the others that if you meet new diving friends and look at it as a social event as well as a diving opportunity, you will have fun.

As to the water temp, I dive wet and began my season in early April with some tune up dives before our trip to Cozumel. I dove a merino lined 5 mm suit with hood and gloves. I was comfortable for a 30 minute dive staying above the 35 ft thermocline then, my hands started getting cold.

I dove Dutch last Wednesday in the same suit minus hood and was comfortable through a 57 minute dive in the 45+ ft range. The hard part is gearing up. Once you have the suit on, it is just diving.

When the air temp gets really hot, I will put my suit on, take a dip to cool off then get the rest of the gear and dive.

Get together with a group and give it another try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom