Need help ! Buying first regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thoughts:

1) The Titan LX is a solid regulator, especially the supreme model which this is.
2) I agree with the others that $400 CAD is too much to pay. But I don't think it is too outlandish being you are getting a first stage, second stage, octo, SPG and dive computer.
3) I looked at the photos closely and in my opinion the set has more than one dive on it. I don't see any external corrosion which is good. However I would like to see the filter to look for corrosion. If the seller is local I would put it on a tank to check for free flow. If it does I would pass or talk him down a lot. I am a regulator collector (i.e. hoarder), I never purchased an aqualung regulator that didn't work, even a 50 year old double hose.

On the other hand, an Apeks DS4 first stage plus a couple of ATX40 second stages would do the same thing for a fraction of the cost of the top end Apeks regulator sets, especially if they’re lightly used and bought second hand.
The problem with DS4/ATX40 is that they were never inexpensive in North America. In Europe they were bargains but not here.

The problem with DS4/ATX40 is that they were never inexpensive in North America. In Europe they were bargains but not here.
Seems nowadays that nothing Apeks is a bargain as their prices have gone through the roof as Aqualung squeeze as much money as possible out of the dive community.

My thoughts:

1) The Titan LX is a solid regulator, especially the supreme model which this is.
2) I agree with the others that $400 CAD is too much to pay. But I don't think it is too outlandish being you are getting a first stage, second stage, octo, SPG and dive computer.
3) I looked at the photos closely and in my opinion the set has more than one dive on it. I don't see any external corrosion which is good. However I would like to see the filter to look for corrosion. If the seller is local I would put it on a tank to check for free flow. If it does I would pass or talk him down a lot. I am a regulator collector (i.e. hoarder), I never purchased an aqualung regulator that didn't work, even a 50 year old double hose.

Seems nowadays that nothing Apeks is a bargain as their prices have gone through the roof as Aqualung squeeze as much money as possible out of the dive community.
Currently DS4 with 2x ATX40 is 400€. DST with XTX50/40 combo is 620 and MTX is 800. No SPG in any price. I would definitely pass on MTX.

Quebec border is 5.5 hrs away from me, so it may be different in Quebec,
But apex regs are not common here used, can't say I have ever seen one on kiji.
Older Sherwood's are more popular,
But I don't think the poster wants something to old,
I would suggest that they keep an eye in the Ottawa area kiji, there tends to be nice equipment for sale around there, because people move in and out of Ottawa a fair bit. And when they move they tend to sell there gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom