Need help ! Buying first regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second hand regs need to be cheap as you’re taking a risk, need to get them serviced and there’s no warranty. Well under half price unless they’re virtually new or have a genuine recent service.

If buying new regs, don’t buy top-end as they’re expensive and obscenely overpriced. Buy quality but older styles as they’re much better value for money. Always look for a discount. The high volume online shops are good.

Also look at getting both yoke and DIN connectors as DIN is more reliable than yoke for your own cylinders.

I recently purchased the Deep6 Signature reg set. Works great. Came with rebuild kits and free first service. But the backup reg set I’m building now with older ScubaPro components (MK10. SP109 and G250) makes me smile.

Second hand regs need to be cheap as you’re taking a risk, need to get them serviced and there’s no warranty. Well under half price unless they’re virtually new or have a genuine recent service.

If buying new regs, don’t buy top-end as they’re expensive and obscenely overpriced. Buy quality but older styles as they’re much better value for money. Always look for a discount. The high volume online shops are good.

Also look at getting both yoke and DIN connectors as DIN is more reliable than yoke for your own cylinders.
Good advice ! Thank you

Used regs that you can either service yourself or get serviced locally are a good investment.
Make the primary and oct the same quality. DIN connection preferably.
An SPG, not an integrated computer.

Used regs that you can either service yourself or get serviced locally are a good investment.
Make the primary and oct the same quality. DIN connection preferably.
An SPG, not an integrated computer.
I agree with this. You can find really nice used regs that have already been serviced that still will cost significantly less than new.

Don't mess up CAD and USD.
We have exchange rate of 25+%
And to ship over the boarder it crazy with taxes, duties and fees,

That said 400 CAD is kinda very steep for me, wait and cruise kiji, decent deals come up, but not as often as pre covid.

Maybe offer 250$ and see if he takes it. Especially as it sits longer,
ask to hook up on a tanks if it leaks, I would offer 150$
Try not to be in a rush

Scuba Regulators

Don't mess up CAD and USD.
We have exchange rate of 25+%
And to ship over the boarder it crazy with taxes, duties and fees,

That said 400 CAD is kinda very steep for me, wait and cruise kiji, decent deals come up, but not as often as pre covid.

Maybe offer 250$ and see if he takes it. Especially as it sits longer,
ask to hook up on a tanks if it leaks, I would offer 150$
Try not to

Since your LDS is an Apeks dealer and you will be diving in cold water, I recommend the Apeks MTX-RC, which is rated for cold water. I have several of them and love the way they breathe. I keep mine well-maintained and start out with the cracking pressure tight and Venturi off, and I've never had a freeflow that way, then as I descend, I turn on Venturi and open the cracking pressure knob and it breathes like it's not even there. The MTX-RC is going to be more than your stated budget, but I think this is the wrong place to try to economize. If you expect to do hundreds of dives, the price difference of a few hundreds between an old, used reg and an excellent reg amortizes to something like one dollar per dive.

Since your LDS is an Apeks dealer and you will be diving in cold water, I recommend the Apeks MTX-RC, which is rated for cold water. I have several of them and love the way they breathe. I keep mine well-maintained and start out with the cracking pressure tight and Venturi off, and I've never had a freeflow that way, then as I descend, I turn on Venturi and open the cracking pressure knob and it breathes like it's not even there. The MTX-RC is going to be more than your stated budget, but I think this is the wrong place to try to economize. If you expect to do hundreds of dives, the price difference of a few hundreds between an old, used reg and an excellent reg amortizes to something like one dollar per dive.
On the other hand, an Apeks DS4 first stage plus a couple of ATX40 second stages would do the same thing for a fraction of the cost of the top end Apeks regulator sets, especially if they’re lightly used and bought second hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom