My first 3 tank boat dive tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see. I guess currents are not that big of a deal then if you can do that. In the Carolinas sometimes currents are such that you have to pull yourself down or you will be swept away and might need to float on the surface for a while until all the divers get back up and boat can pick you up. (Hence the need for a safety sausage and a reel.)

I've had a few strong currents in which all of us came up with hands on the anchor line and doing the flag impression.

The charters out here tend to use the anchor line for the up/down line. If there is a strong current they'll let out some line that is attached to the anchor line and/or to the swim step area.

A key thing to remember about winter conditions, is that it often lays down
as the rain goes through, esp. if it's a Pineapple Express. Ain't gonna happen
tomorrow, though.

A sausage is still a very good idea here. I won't dive without one.

Currents do happen. I remember one time I had a heck of time getting
back to my boat.

Ok, I am confused now. What lays down and what is Pineapple Express? What ain't gonna happen tomorrow?

I will take a crack at this... Mind you its just a crack LOL

I think Chuck is saying that when its actually raining here the water lays down.. not as rough and nasty

Pineapple Express is a storm that generally starts towards Hawaii around oct-december and brings some good rainfall to the west coast.

It aint gonna happen tomorrow may be referring to the fact that we are getting one of these fall storms but it looks like there is potential for some heavy winds along with it and the water most likely will not "lay down" with this storm...

Thats my best translation but I do not have my decoder ring on so cut me SOME slack

In my younger dive days I "never" felt ill on a boat no matter how bad the weather or water conditions. A few months ago in Hawaii of all places [right after the hurricane] i just wanted to die on the spot or be tossed overboard to drown peacefully! Man was I sick!

The DM kept telling me, "just get in the water and you'll feel better".. I couldn't pick up my head and couldn't even imagine climbing over the rail. They finally tossed me in and *BINGO* all the symptoms were gone instantly. I finished all 5 dives that day [praying for the boat to stop each time so I could jump overboard] The DM suggested Bonnine... before the next day..

No drowsyness or side effects... on a recent trip to Channel Islands [gale force winds and knarly water conditions] I trip Trip-tone on the advice of LDS... for me no doubt Bonnine was a much better choice. Give it a try.

Yeah, I felt really good on this trip. When I was younger I didn't need anything at all, now that I'm older I can't do that. I think it really helped to take it the night before and then another couple times in the morning. Dramamine, worked for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom