My first 3 tank boat dive tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currents weren't anything of note, when we got there and got in (I was the first in the water) they were waiting to see if I would drift away from the boat waiting for my buddy. I drifted a little bit, but had no problem swimming to the anchor line to descend.
Thanks for the reminder of the name, I'll add it to my logbook. Buddy and I got to 97 feet on that one, farther and darker than I wanted to go. I think after this boat dive I have learned that I probably won't be doing too many more night dives or I need to start carrying a larger light on day trips.

What kind of down system do charters in this area use?

For example here in the Carolinas the "Carolina rig" is pretty standard.

Example:

down line system

We use the anchor line. Don't hold onto it really, just use it as a visual reference. If you can find it after your dive you can follow it back up then swim to the back of the boat on the surface.

We use the anchor line. Don't hold onto it really, just use it as a visual reference. If you can find it after your dive you can follow it back up then swim to the back of the boat on the surface.

I see. I guess currents are not that big of a deal then if you can do that. In the Carolinas sometimes currents are such that you have to pull yourself down or you will be swept away and might need to float on the surface for a while until all the divers get back up and boat can pick you up. (Hence the need for a safety sausage and a reel.)

LOL, hence, the reason I've never seen a safety sausage deployed :)

LOL, hence, the reason I've never seen a safety sausage deployed :)

I see :)

I never /had/ to deploy one in an emergency. I did it for practice however.

Who knows, conditions can vary each weekend. We'll hope for the best in 2 weeks, though we're getting a storm this week.

A key thing to remember about winter conditions, is that it often lays down
as the rain goes through, esp. if it's a Pineapple Express. Ain't gonna happen
tomorrow, though.

A sausage is still a very good idea here. I won't dive without one.

Currents do happen. I remember one time I had a heck of time getting
back to my boat.

A key thing to remember about winter conditions, is that it often lays down
as the rain goes through, esp. if it's a Pineapple Express. Ain't gonna happen
tomorrow, though.

Ok, I am confused now. What lays down and what is Pineapple Express? What ain't gonna happen tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom