My first 3 tank boat dive tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A bit apprehensive. Not Nitrox certified so will be diving air, in a wetsuit, but with adequate thermal protection. I have to wake up at 4:45 am to get down to the dock, will suit up before getting on the boat, do 3 dives then come home to rinse gear. Then have a Sharks game from 7:30-10:30 pm.
You think I'm gonna make it? Something tells me I will be totally wiped out after the boat dive.

You'll be psyched after the boat. But if you're not wretching over the side on the ride, you'll probably fall asleep on the trip back to the port :)

Speaking of which, if you're prone to seasickness, I highly recommend taking a bonine tonight before going to bed, and one more in the morning an hour before boarding.

Have fun!

Have fun..you'll be ok! Should to be a great weekend!

Just buck down a few double espressos on the way home...

Gombessa: That was the plan, I heard about taking the pills the night before, never have done it though. I use dramamine, same thing, right?
On a boat, I'm usually fine for the first dive, then something happens between the first and the second, the wind picks up, the waves pick up, I'm tired of being in the wetsuit, I'm starting to feel seasick because I swallowed water on the first, I dunno, but I often bail on the second. I really really want to do all three, especially since I paid for them. I never thought I really needed a nitrox class but if I was Nitrox certified, I would probably end up in better shape, eh?
I plan on going to bed as early as I can tonight, we'll see how that goes. If there's anything left of me after the dives I'll post a post-dive report.

Nitrox may help, but most of the information regarding feeling better is anecdotal at best. When I use it, I feel like I have more energy but, who knows, it may just be me.

Relax, get plenty of sleep the night before, stay as warm as possible during the surface intervals and stay hydrated, you will do fine.

Remember to take some pictures and then share them with us right here!

Be very careful about taking pills before driving. Some of them make you
sleepy.

Forecast tomorrow is VERY benign:

.SAT...NW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING SW IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND
WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. NW SWELL 3 FT AT 9 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG.

When I was in San Diego for some boat diving over the long weekend, I took bonine the night before, and then another an hour before we left dock. The captain also had some liquid sea sick medication that you just rub behind your ears. It had a lavender scent to it. That combination (and just going to sleep during the SI) worked out great and I was able to enjoy the boat ride back. I could be wrong, but I think the stuff was called MotionEaze:

MotionEaze | Natural Motion Sickness Remedy

Another good option is called "Triptone"...

Triptone to prevent Motion Sickness - Medical/First Aid

I've used it extensively. One pill the night before, one when you wake up, (and I take a third one as the boat is pulling out.) Out of Beaufort or Morehead City, NC it can be a 3 hour ride out, 2-3 hours diving two dives (with transit from the 1st to the 2nd), and then a 2-3 hour ride back in. Long days, and this stuff never let me down even in some pretty rough weather.

Give it a shot.

Doc

Thanks for the info everyone, I will try to get to my LDS before it closes tonight and pick up either (or both) of those. I have never been physically ill on a boat (thank goodness) but I've sure felt ill.
I just called the LDS and they have Bonine, Triptone, something called queezeze (sp?) and the wrist bands.
Thanks for the weather report, Chuck, when I was looking earlier in the week it looked like this weekend would have pretty good dive conditions.
It only takes once having an egg mcmuffin before a boat trip to turn you off eating before you dive, I can usually eat some soup and cookies once underway though. Won't ever do the egg mcmuffin again though. My dive instructor told me the best thing to eat before a boat dive is corn chips, they taste the same going both ways.
Sorry, TMI?

Nitrox may help, but most of the information regarding feeling better is anecdotal at best. When I use it, I feel like I have more energy but, who knows, it may just be me.

Relax, get plenty of sleep the night before, stay as warm as possible during the surface intervals and stay hydrated, you will do fine.

Remember to take some pictures and then share them with us right here!

Agreed. Just relax and enjoy the day. I actually take my gloves, booties, and top half of my suit off, (sometimes the whole suit), during SI and try to stay warm......drink, drink drink, (not beer, save that for later).
Give us a report when you can.:mostlysunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom