My DCS Incident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you're willing and *able* to share your story. Thanks.

Steve_Dives:
My grandfather always ate his desert first.

LOL. That's what I took out of this thread!

The other stuff (hydration, chamber numbers handy, PFO) I already knew about...

Kendall Raine:
Just wondering whether an informed eye saw the mottling and said "Yep, that's a skin hit and not a rash, tight dry suit, exhaust valve imprint, or"... You get the picture.

The ER docs were in consultation with the DAN medics. They drew blood and the doctor said I was bent based on the both the bloodwork and physical symptoms. My knee cap was a solid red color and this was while wearing light hiking pants. If you have ever seen Stilton cheese then you know the type of deep mottling that was on my forearm. I also had deep muscle aches, a sinus type headache and visible shakes. The dive medics on the chamber had no doubts either. Any one symptom alone I could dismiss as something else; all together meant an ambulance ride.

When I was on the ferry I was telling myself over and over, "it couldn't be", not on such a relaxed dive. Yet I could feel myself getting worse and worse. There comes a point where denial is surpassed by the facts and I got there pretty quick.

As Sherlock Holmes said, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth".

Shadragon,

You are so right! Postings in this area are so important and vital to diver education. I really appreciate you sharing this info. in such great detail.

I just got the DAN: Dive & Travel Medical Guide after recently enrolling in their insurance program. Its a great booklet they send new members. It is postings like this and taking the Rescue Course that really affirm the value of supporting DAN.

Although located in the section on how to avoid Hyperthermia (DAN Dive & Travel Medical Guide, 2003, p.21), the following may be helpful in determining how much water to drink:

"Urinating once or twice a day, where urine appears clear, is a sign of adequate hydration."

This may be a good self monitoring thing to keep in mind. Feels a bit odd writing this, but it may be very useful info to keep in mind.

AZ

"Urinating once or twice a day, where urine appears clear, is a sign of adequate hydration."
:hmmm: I pee that much on a dive but never see it - in the suit. I guess if I pee 8 or 10 times a day...?

DandyDon

The number was a bit odd, but you get the point. As stated, I felt a bit odd quoting that, but it does make a lot of sense.

AZ

Once or twice a day sounds like a misprint...??

Thanks for all the information and I am glad everything worked out well for you. I will be adding the DAN information to my phone and local chamber number as well.

"One of the medics came in the chamber with me and they took us to 60 feet. They stopped a few times so I could clear my ears and we were at depth in about 2 minutes. Time of treatment start was 20:24. They put me on 100% O2 and I relaxed on the sleeping bag. The medic did a 12 point neuro check and I was fine."

I thought that on 100% O2 you get oxygen toxicity below around 15ft, so why here is it ok for him to be on 100% O2 at 60ft? :huh:

By far the most informative report I have read about a DCS hit. Glad you made it through okay.

I just added DAN to my speed dial numbers on my cell...I made it #9 as that is the first number of DAN's area code. Nine is also viewed as the luckiest number by many cultures. (Of course, I was born on the 9th day of the 9th month.)

Thanks for the insight.

Jeff

Antarctic-Adventurer:
"One of the medics came in the chamber with me and they took us to 60 feet. They stopped a few times so I could clear my ears and we were at depth in about 2 minutes. Time of treatment start was 20:24. They put me on 100% O2 and I relaxed on the sleeping bag. The medic did a 12 point neuro check and I was fine."

I thought that on 100% O2 you get oxygen toxicity below around 15ft, so why here is it ok for him to be on 100% O2 at 60ft? :huh:
You can push that possibility a lot more when there's no risk of drowning. For a more detailed discussion, tho - I'd suggest a seperate thread on Dr Deco forum.
jtoorish:
By far the most informative report I have read about a DCS hit. Glad you made it through okay.

I just added DAN to my speed dial numbers on my cell...I made it #9 as that is the first number of DAN's area code. Nine is also viewed as the luckiest number by many cultures. (Of course, I was born on the 9th day of the 9th month.)

Thanks for the insight.

Jeff
Newer cell phones have room for 500 numbers. Maybe add 3 different DAN number, in case of a problem with one. Oh, I'd never suggest that if they hadn't had a problem with the emergency number a couple of weeks ago, but once a bug is discovered - I'm shy. Look at your DAN card and add all those perhaps, as they have different primary uses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom