My DCS Incident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you ever get a bubble echo for the PFO? A drysuit can be very effective at squeezing down all your peripheral vasculature. This increases the amount of blood that is returned to the heart which can increase the pressure in the right side of the heart. This then creates a pressure gradient for flow through a PFO to the left heart (allowing bubbles to bypass the lungs and be returned to the body.) Perhaps the only thing you did different was wear a drysuit? I'm not sure if any studies have been done to see if drysuits increase venus return to the right heart or not but the principle is the same as "the pneumatic anti shock garment" so I don't see why it wouldn't. On the other hand the test for the pfo is expensive, invasive and not without risk so thats something to consider too.

Antarctic-Adventurer:
"One of the medics came in the chamber with me and they took us to 60 feet. They stopped a few times so I could clear my ears and we were at depth in about 2 minutes. Time of treatment start was 20:24. They put me on 100% O2 and I relaxed on the sleeping bag. The medic did a 12 point neuro check and I was fine."

I thought that on 100% O2 you get oxygen toxicity below around 15ft, so why here is it ok for him to be on 100% O2 at 60ft? :huh:

In the water we generally limit the use of 100% O2 to 1.6 ATM (20 ft). In the water, the real risk of a convulsion is drowning. In a chamber where you aren't in the water and can't drown, they use more extreme exposures.

MikeFerrara:
In the water we generally limit the use of 100% O2 to 1.6 ATM (20 ft). In the water, the real risk of a convulsion is drowning. In a chamber where you aren't in the water and can't drown, they use more extreme exposures.

Thanks Mike. I wondered that myself... Cheers

Did a chamber dive and visit lately and learnt a lot. Remarked on how some of the profiles were orders of magnitude outside the limits set for diving.

The consultant whos been there 20 years has never yet had anyone tox despite the high exposures etc. They also dont see whole body tox as a real issue.

"If they convulse its a minor issue". Underwater obviously its drowning unless extremely lucky.

DandyDon:
Once or twice a day sounds like a misprint...??

I agree. If you only pee once or twice a day your urine will not be clear, but quite yellow. To pee clear you have to drink quite bit of water and you'll be urinating more like 6 to 8 times per day.:11:

Lehmann108:
I agree. If you only pee once or twice a day your urine will not be clear, but quite yellow. To pee clear you have to drink quite bit of water and you'll be urinating more like 6 to 8 times per day.:11:
I haven't seen the brochure in a few years. I think the instructions may have been to drink enough that you'd pee clear once or twice a day.

johntuskman:
have you fully recovered?
Since my 30 day DAN dive ban I have made 40+ dives without incident. Been deeper for longer and had no trouble. I hydrate myself thoroughly before and after the dive and keep an eye on ascent rates and my DC. I have since been qualified in NITROX and use it on the deeper dives. I always do a SS regardless of depth or time down and if I have the slightest doubt I extend it. I always try for at least an hour SI as well between dives. Longer if I can.

Back
Top Bottom