My DCS Incident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only ditto what others are saying. As odd as this might sound, it is nice to hear of a DCS incident that was not created by diver error. Good luck on your future dives. Just one of those things.

dont be so sure of diver error. the area in question which he and several others dive is a highly dangerous spot. extreme currents, it is the second largest whirlpool in the world. i have only done a handful of dives in this area in a limited window of opportunity. several factors could have contributed to his dcs. personally i would not have done my second dive in a new dry suit at "the point". several of the divers who frequent this area routinely dive beyond 100' . in all the dives i was ever on at the point we didn't venture past 60'. i have over 3000 dives in the bay of fundy and work there diving all year round. there are areas that should be avoided for obvious reason.

Great account. The lesson I got out of it was that you really need to be prepared to coach ER staff a little bit to treat this kind of accident. They may not know to contact DAN or where there might be alternate chambers.

Thanks for posting this.

Lehmann108:
IAs odd as this might sound, it is nice to hear of a DCS incident that was not created by diver error.
Not me. I want to know exactly what caused the problem when I have one and learn from it. The unknown is my big concern.

Good luck on a good resolution...

Lehmann108:
I can only ditto what others are saying. As odd as this might sound, it is nice to hear of a DCS incident that was not created by diver error. Good luck on your future dives. Just one of those things.

While we may not always understand why a "hit" happens there is a reason. Since the result isn't desireable, I think we could call it an error.

i think if you go through the numbers as reported a pretty significant percentage fall into this catagory and I find that troubling.

booth22:
Thanks so much for the great information... this was one of the best descriptions of the process I've read and it does a great job explaining what may happen should the situation arise. Thanks and safe diving!
I cannot agree more. A model of memory - I am in awe. Mahalo.
LOL Just one question - long read fast read, may have missed it...what quanty fluids, color of urine if, uh, visable :blinking: prior and post? oops two questings...

MikeFerrara:
Good post.

One thing I'd point out about hydration, drinking immediately before and after the dive is good but may not be enough. You should make sure that you're taking in enough fluids a good 12 - 24 hourse before diving. Of course, the best is to always be adequately hydrated.

You didn't give all that much information about your actual profile but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that it was ok. After all, you did get bent. It's great that your computer liked it but your body didn't.

Lastly, I'm no doc but I don't think the needle in your arm would have been a problem.
Hmmm, as precaution in case if venous collapse, I would have precautionary kept it as a solid and rapid response connection during transport. No clue about decompress consideration tho.
Have to look up recommendation for additional fluid addition, if so; drip rate.

TheTrickster:
What a great account! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you're okay now!

You are taught on the PADI Rescue course to give patients the highest o2 mix you have at hand, be it 28%,32%,40% - whatever - it doesn't hurt. Sounds like you had some Rescue/Divemasters at hand!

Also in the Enriched Air class. My son came home after his first evening of classes and reminded me of that fact - use whatever enriched air you have in the absence of straight O2.

Hawkwood:
Also in the Enriched Air class. My son came home after his first evening of classes and reminded me of that fact - use whatever enriched air you have in the absence of straight O2.

You are correct and I learned that on both my NITROX and my Rescue courses. However, I took both of those after the DCS hit. At the time I was just AOW...

shadragon:
You are correct and I learned that on both my NITROX and my Rescue courses. However, I took both of those after the DCS hit. At the time I was just AOW...

Many thanks for your report. This may sound a bit obtuse, but were you observed directly by a physician with real hyperbaric experience and, if so, did they actually tell you they thouught you were bent?

I couldn't tell from your account. I know of enough instances where symptoms are inconclusive enough for even really experienced hyperbaric physicians to be in doubt.

You took the right course of action, clearly. You certainly had what could have been DCS symptoms, albeit pretty minor ones. Just wondering whether an informed eye saw the mottling and said "Yep, that's a skin hit and not a rash, tight dry suit, exhaust valve imprint, or"... You get the picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom