My DCS Incident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaBluedolphin:
Thanks for sharing, glad you are okay now.

Might I suggest you send it to DAN, they might publish it. A friend of mine had an account of one of her experiences published a few years back.

I sent the DAN medic who handled the case a copy of the original document along with the raw data from the DC and screenshots of the dive profile after I downloaded it. No one has approached me to publish it beyond local dive clubs and forum lists. I would not mind, but I would have to re-write it a bit for more general consumption. If anyone has a contact email at DAN, you can drop me a PM.

shadragon:
If anyone has a contact email at DAN, you can drop me a PM.

I can look around when I get home, but I bet if you look in the magazine there is a place for submissions.

Good job to Irving Oil for coming through for the dive community.

Glad you're OK.

This is an exceptionally clear and well written account. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share. Most importantly, I'm very glad to see that you're OK.

Glad to hear your OK! Very informative to new divers such as myself! If I may ask, without sounding dumb, but what is PFO? and also are you able to dive after something like this happens to you? Sorry if they're bad questions, just trying to learn all I can. Thanks guys.

mikerault:
I have gone as far as to write up a dive emergency plan for the two sites I dive at here in Georgia with contact data, nearest chambers and emergency information (including driving directions) I suggest you might want to write one up and keep it in your dive log for sites you dive a lot.
Mike

Our students (all of them from OW on up) have always been required to do these for all sites they will be diving. You're probably going to be more familiar with the emergency procedures for a dive site you visit often, it's the ones you visit on trips where these plans can prove their value.
Ber :lilbunny:

Wow...?! I guess PFO is the thought on a lot of minds here, for such an unexplained hit. Thanks for sharing. Gives a good message for accepting that caca happens even when it shouldn't, and don't blow off the symptoms but take a proactive approach. Calling DAN earlier is my only possible suggestion.
Something else I might suggest is to add another entry to your cell phone. ICE, In Case Of Emergency, is a universal entry that emergency personnel should recognize in the event that an individual is unable to communicate, and someone needs to be contacted. Could help save a life, not to mention eliminating valuable time trying to locate family or friends.
It wouldn't hurt, but in previous discussions on SB, it was kinda established that emergency workers don't look for it. I wear a dog tag with that info - always.

From DAN sites, this page: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/contact/email.asp one can email to DAN.

NJMike:
Definitely a good report. Can you tell us which computer you were using?

Oceanic VEO 200. Still use it to this day.

fast5frog:
Glad to hear your OK! Very informative to new divers such as myself! If I may ask, without sounding dumb, but what is PFO? and also are you able to dive after something like this happens to you? Sorry if they're bad questions, just trying to learn all I can. Thanks guys.
PFO is Patent Foramen Ovale. Link here...

http://scuba-doc.com/pfo.htm

DAN suggested a 30 day dive ban (which I followed) and follow-up with my physician for various tests including PFO. Trust me, I was poked and prodded big time.

Only way to learn is to ask questions. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom