My DCS Incident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. Again, I'm glad to hear your OK and doing well!!

Excellent post. Glad you are ok and everything worked out. Just goes to show that you can do everything seemingly ok and can still get DCS. Something, however, maybe it was hydration, wasn't quite right.

(Yes I know I'm a geek,sorry!) After reading the whole thread I couldn't help but think of a line out of a star trek episode, to paraphrase it went something like: "It is possible to make no mistakes, and still loose"

So I think the lesson here (if one takes nothing else from it) would be that there is no substiute for preparadness. It is possible to do everything exactly "right", but still have something bad happen. So always, always, always, "Be Prepared!" (yes my boy scout day's showing thru again).

I also wanted to say something about the "ICE" entry in cell phones: Here is a link too the snopes urban legends page on the ICE entry : http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp

While a good idea, I would warn not to rely solely on an ICE entry in your cell phone, as pointed out at the above link, phone's are easily damaged/lost etc. So having the ICE entry is a good idea, but I also would recomend the dog tag idea, or in my case I purchased on of the "DAN Tags" and attached it to my BCD. Especially for dive emergancy's, I mean as a general rule of thumb there will be plenty of water around to render that cell phone unusable in seconds :wink:

P.S. Thank you again for such a great write up!

I keep several DAN numbers in my cell phone, just in case - and we had an incident here on SB last Sunday with which 919-684-4DAN was not functioning (reported, fixed).

I also keep my DAN card in my billfold and my DAN tag on my BC.

Glad to hear you are doing fine and will be able to dive again.

This goes to show that as afar as DCS goes it doesn't really matter what you do to prevent it.

I have seen more than one DRUNKEN diver, non water drinker, stay past bottom time, come up to fast, bounce and what other things you can think of that should bend you like a pretzel come up just fine.
While other people do everything right and come up tingley...

"Unfair" hits do happen....even without a PFO. (Similar situation happened to me a few weeks ago, although did not have quite the story to tell like yours). Thanks for sharing the story with us.

Thanks for posting. Great details- (although it did bring back some not-too-pleasant memories).
Glad you are feeling better.

take care,
Mike

I'd be interested in knowing the results of the PFO test as well. I've read assertions that skin bends tends to be associated with the presence of a PFO...

Lynne or someone medical, do you know what the mechanism is behind a skin bend? (beyond just nitrogen bubbles and diving).

Thanks for posting and glad to hear you're recovered.

shadragon:
I never did get to the chocolate milk or pudding.

My grandfather always ate his desert first.

Your account was informative and extremely well written. It will be very beneficial for a new diver like me in preparing for similar emergencies. Hope you get some answers and it doesn't slow you down!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom