My back surgery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These ICU nurses are a different bunch, that's for sure.

They are. There are "regular nurses" (not running them down at all; wife, mom, and several cousins are nurses), and then there are ER, ICU, and OR nurses. The latter are a different breed. It's not that the others couldn't do it, but that they *like* those specialties. Why was I not a nurse? Way too lazy. Fact.

It's silly to note, but I had a solo-pee tonight. No cats, no witnesses but this chalice of NetDoc Ale. The aroma is said to be pungent by any standards.

It's silly to note, but I had a solo-pee tonight. No cats, no witnesses but this chalice of NetDoc Ale. The aroma is said to be pungent by any standards.

Having spent 6 days in the trauma ICU 8 weeks ago, I completely get the excitement at the solo-pee! It's right up there with the first time I finally went #2 after my accident + the opioids. 💩

I made 3 pilgrimages today on the walker... all had to deal with going. The two #1s were fine, but for the #2, they had given me an enema. The last bowel movement being last Saturday, they saw it as a poo or die situation. So I lay there, rolled up for 15-minutes against the guardrail, bowels being filled from the exit point, with a soup so foul, that it made my own bowels tremble.

I've learned my way around hospital beds, especially how to get out. Ting, the time is up and I hit the nurse alert. It took another 5 five minutes before they responded. She went for help, but none was found. I got permission to get up, and made it look easy. Then she realized there was no bag in the bedside toilette. The poo-astrophe occurred on my fourth step. Oh my. Somehow I thought I could make it to the real toileete. I leapt for the bedside potty at that point, only to remember I lost that leaping gene years ago. I was only half on/off when day #2 slooshed out. Ouch, I had hurt that right arm again. The next four days cascaded unencumbered into the morass of the bag-less bucket. I watched the cleanup from my throne, a bit depressed and distressed albeit completely releived. The brown sea rapidly disappeared. I got into my bed clean and feeling drained in more ways than one.

That was 6 hours ago. I've mostly recovered, but still feel sporadic cramps, tics, and shooting pains. Progress has been made and hope has not been lost. Time to soldier on.

I believe that I have regained only 15% of my right leg strength. Half of that was overnight. I hope it doubles daily. I think I need 70-75% of that strength to leave here

I made 3 pilgrimages today on the walker... all had to deal with going. The two #1s were fine, but for the #2, they had given me an enema. The last bowel movement being last Saturday, they saw it as a poo or die situation. So I lay there, rolled up for 15-minutes against the guardrail, bowels being filled from the exit point, with a soup so foul, that it made my own bowels tremble.

I've learned my way around hospital beds, especially how to get out. Ting, the time is up and I hit the nurse alert. It took another 5 five minutes before they responded. She went for help, but none was found. I got permission to get up, and made it look easy. Then she realized there was no bag in the bedside toilette. The poo-astrophe occurred on my fourth step. Oh my. Somehow I thought I could make it to the real toileete. I leapt for the bedside potty at that point, only to remember I lost that leaping gene years ago. I was only half on/off when day #2 slooshed out. Ouch, I had hurt that right arm again. The next four days cascaded unencumbered into the morass of the bag-less bucket. I watched the cleanup from my throne, a bit depressed and distressed albeit completely releived. The brown sea rapidly disappeared. I got into my bed clean and feeling drained in more ways than one.

That was 6 hours ago. I've mostly recovered, but still feel sporadic cramps, tics, and shooting pains. Progress has been made and hope has not been lost. Time to soldier on.

I feel for ya Pete! I was afraid myself of needing to go the enema route, but I thankfully went on my own on day #4 due to being loaded up on stool softeners and laxatives. I had a few close calls myself but made it each time. It's amazing how their response time always seems to be inversely correlated to the urgency of needing to go!

My only "mess" came from blowing off the PureWick (they were calling it a DickWick when used for men LOL) because they had kincked the hose. They then went to a traditional condom cath which worked much better. But that pales in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom