My 1st Diving Problem Ever!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH:
If it is the later, well there is a reason that sixths is mandated for divers diving doubles at certain levels of cave training.

~Jess
Yes, but it is not because 3rd is too liberal in itself......it is to limit penetration at that level of training.

But you are right, there are situations where 3rds straight out of the box is not applicable: syphons and DPV dives for instance. There are more, but this is a digression from this thread.

PvilleStang:
I've got the TDI book if you ever want to look at their standards...
??? what is this referring to? You lost me.

HybridDiver:
...I do not know my SAC rate...
I have moved the thread from "Technical Specialties" to "Basic Scuba Discussions," where it belongs.
Chris, you might want to have a look at this thread, which will give you a "KISS" gas planning method for recreational diving, and one easily adapted to more sophisticated plans when you're ready for that.
Rick

While a lot of people are probably going to come down on me for this, I think its worth mentioning. If solo diving is a reality for you, you should dive like a solo diver and not obsess about being DIR. DIR is a fantastic system for team diving. DIR is, however, a piss-poor system for solo diving. The first thing I feel you should address for solo diving to 100 feet is a redundant air supply.

If you were DIR in equipment, training, team, experience and simply remove the 'team' portion and go diving you have removed such a key portion of the system that the rest cannot stand on its own. What you are left with a bunch of skills and training that don't work without a team and a pile of nice equipment that is inadequate for a solo diver.

LG Diver:
So, let's see.... you're doing a "tech" dive with insta-buddy who doesn't know your gear (so presumably not DIR) to 100'. You search for him for 4 minutes, then ascend and... go pack your gear?! No search initiated? No 911 call? Alrighty then. Good luck with that (and with the DIR solo diving).

A wise man said in another thread:

"Until you understand that DIR involves approaching the dive as "us", rather than as "me", you really haven't got a basis for why they do anything.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)"

As far as your last statement, a 'wise' man once told me the same thing 22 years ago- my OW PADI instructor-....BTW, neither one of us had never heard of DIR....read the PADI manuel from back then, it's called the buddy system, nothing new, nothing earthshaking.....As I've said before, common sense.......(This isn't air we're roaming around in down there.....)

JimC:
If you were DIR in equipment, training, team, experience and simply remove the 'team' portion and go diving you have removed such a key portion of the system that the rest cannot stand on its own. What you are left with a bunch of skills and training that don't work without a team and a pile of nice equipment that is inadequate for a solo diver.

I'll agree that a large portion of DIR is team. What I don't follow you on is gear. Take a diver in a hog rig with doubles on a 100ft dive. How is that gear inadequate for a solo dive?

Isolators do not provide true redundancy is the big one. There are some other issues like only having one bottom timer, where and how you mark mix/mod on your tanks (you need to read it, not your non-existent buddy) and stuff. But isolated doubles don't cut the mustard, for me, solo, 4000 feet back in a cave. Solo diving, especially in an overhead/deco environment requires a significant paradigm shift from a DIR/Hogarthian rig. Everything needs to be rethought to be ideal for YOU, not best for the team - from pocket contents to gear placement to helmets to gas mix - everything.

JimC:
Isolators do not provide true redundancy is the big one. There are some other issues like only having one bottom timer, where and how you mark mix/mod on your tanks (you need to read it, not your non-existent buddy) and stuff. But isolated doubles don't cut the mustard, for me, solo, 4000 feet back in a cave. Solo diving, especially in an overhead/deco environment requires a significant paradigm shift from a DIR/Hogarthian rig. Everything needs to be rethought to be ideal for YOU, not best for the team - from pocket contents to gear placement to helmets to gas mix - everything.
I can not 100% agree with the statements above. Solo in deco/overhead does not per se require a significant paradigm shift from DIR/Hog rig. Hog rig is still applicable, the rig does not significantly change when solo diving, the mindset and planning does. From a equipment perspective you could be doing a solo dive in a cave as you would a standard deco/stage dive. It is just the order of (not) breathing bottles that changes. Not the rig....that is the beauty of the hog rig... it doesn't change and is applicable in almost any scenario

Back
Top Bottom