My 1st Diving Problem Ever!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What, exactly, happens when a single failure which compromises your manifold happens? Answer, you die. Heck, even loosing one post on isolated doubles could leave you with less than enough gas to exit the dive in a worst case situation. Isolators don't cut it and buddy bottles, while they do the job (sort of) are less than ideal (and are in no way DIR)

Can a hog rig be adapted and use for solodiving? Sure. But it isn't ideal and needs modifications from a team rig to be safe, and more to be minimalist.

Hey Racket, I'm an admitted way bigger A-hole than I would guess most on this board, but PM's are PM's. Tell him to F-off and put him on ignore if you have to, but don't post his PM's. It's bad form.

It's worse than me stating that I agree with JimC sometimes :D lol.

JimC:
What, exactly, happens when a single failure which compromises your manifold happens? Answer, you die. Heck, even loosing one post on isolated doubles could leave you with less than enough gas to exit the dive in a worst case situation. Isolators don't cut it and buddy bottles, while they do the job (sort of) are less than ideal (and are in no way DIR)

Can a hog rig be adapted and use for solodiving? Sure. But it isn't ideal and needs modifications from a team rig to be safe, and more to be minimalist.
Well, solo diving is not DIR for starters... Maybe I am confused about a hog rig, so let me ask this. What IS the difference between a 'team hog rig and a 'solo' hog rig? Maybe this should be a separate thread?

Steve R:
Hey Racket, I'm an admitted way bigger A-hole than I would guess most on this board, but PM's are PM's. Tell him to F-off and put him on ignore if you have to, but don't post his PM's. It's bad form.

It's worse than me stating that I agree with JimC sometimes :D lol.

Typically its bad form to respond to a thread with a PM. Especially one written in that manner, and was unsolicited.

If that is how things are done here, I certainely do not want to ripple the waters.

I guess two wrongs don't make a right.

Meng_Tze:
Well, solo diving is not DIR for starters... Maybe I am confused about a hog rig, so let me ask this. What IS the difference between a 'team hog rig and a 'solo' hog rig? Maybe this should be a separate thread?

Since what is and is not a hog rig is very debatable, I will point out a couple of things based on the DIR version (as I understand it). My non-exhaustive list of things that don't make sense for a solo diver in a DIR rig.

- Required to carry an independent, bailout system.
- Long hose has no use and should be replaced with an appropriate length for solo diving.
- Require second timing and depth device
- Require second cutting device
- Primary regulator should be on left post, not right (no one to donate to, detects roll offs instantly)
- Helmet mounted light instead of left hand in clear water (no one to blind or signal.. have two hands free)
- Anything else where your buddy was carrying the team backup, you need an extra of.

It just makes more sense to me to build something from the ground up with solo diving in mind. I see that as starting with independent doubles, best in a sidemount position where you can't get entangled on your back.

I just spent 20 minutes reading this post. It's astonishing. I've got OW, AOW and 24 dives, still a newbie by all means and I'm not qualified to give any diving advice.

I don't say this to "flame" him, but really out of concern, but does anyone really know if this guy is a diver? It reads to me that he could be gathering information to pose as a diver. He doesn't know the ascent rate, the one you learn in OW? How long to look for a missing buddy, safety stop times? Not reporting a missing diver? I'm stunned because there is so much he doesn't seem to know in basic scuba, but can throw around tech terms but at times in this thread he confuses himself. He says he's 18 years old and that's what concerns me the most. I'm concerned that if he is not a diver he might go out and try to prove to everyone he is and then...what?

Where is the moderator on this thread? Am I the only one that sees some warning signs here?

I'm watching this thread closely and participating in it, as you can see.

waynel:
... Am I the only one that sees some warning signs here?
Nope.
Rick

TSandM:
Actually, if you carefully read Bob's material, you'll see that gas management can be done four different ways.

The first way is "all available gas". That's like a drift dive off a live boat; you can dive until you reach your "rock bottom", or minimum gas, and then ascend. The boat will pick you up wherever you are.

The second way is "halves". That's where it would be NICE to get back to where you started, but it isn't critical. Our shore dives are like this. If worst comes to worst, we can surface swim back, but we don't want to. So we take out rock bottom, and use half our remaining gas before we turn around and head for shore.

The third way is "thirds". This is where you HAVE to get back to your starting point. An example would be diving off an anchored boat on a wreck. You have to get back to the anchor line to return to the boat. You can use a third of your gas (after you have taken out rock bottom), because, if your buddy goes OOA at the point where you are at maximum distance from the upline, you will have to air-share back, and that will take twice as much gas as you have used getting to where you are.

Note that all of the above strategies take out "rock bottom" -- This is because, at the end of your dive, you must do an ascent, no matter what has happened beforehand.

The fourth strategy is pure "thirds", and it's only applicable to situations where you must get back to your starting point, and your starting point IS the surface. In other words, the pure rule of thirds is really only used in caves.

Excellent excellent excellent summary !!!

I would modify "if your buddy goes OOA" to "if your buddy has a total gas failure."

Otherwise, perfectly stated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom