Movies that involved Scuba Diving....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, "The Cave" premier has been pushed back to August instead of April...

jwdiverdude:
Armageddon
never say never again
the rock
Highlander 2
true lies
finiest hour
navy seals
the neptune disaster
opening sequence to the original Mask (jim carey)
tomb raider 2

Jaws the Revenge
The Firm (only a short clip)
Licensed to Kill
The Core (another short clip)

I programmed my DirecTiVo to record anything with scuba as a keyword in the description. It picks up lots of interesting things along with every rerun of Thunderball and the miserable Octopus 2 but last week it found a real gem: A 20 year old episode of Magnum PI entitled "Rapture." It has a good 20 minutes of underwater action including an OOA, a old-fashioned buddy-breath emergency, a deep (200'+) dive with doubles, and a plot that is an ironic play on nitrogen narcosis. It was all with then-modern ScubaPro equipment but of course Sellick wore a full oval mask so you could see his mug. Pretty funny. And the woman had a short-shorty made out of that shiny vinyl looking neoprene they used to use.

liberato:
I programmed my DirecTiVo to record anything with scuba as a keyword in the description. It picks up lots of interesting things along with every rerun of Thunderball and the miserable Octopus 2 but last week it found a real gem: A 20 year old episode of Magnum PI entitled "Rapture." It has a good 20 minutes of underwater action including an OOA, a old-fashioned buddy-breath emergency, a deep (200'+) dive with doubles, and a plot that is an ironic play on nitrogen narcosis. It was all with then-modern ScubaPro equipment but of course Sellick wore a full oval mask so you could see his mug. Pretty funny. And the woman had a short-shorty made out of that shiny vinyl looking neoprene they used to use.
I was flipping channels and ran across that episode last week...great memories of diving with very little gear!!!

This is a really cool find!!!

Found a great site for diving movies. Apparently “Diver Magazine” runs or ran a section called “Bubble and Blood”. Sort of a puzzle section. They show a picture from the film and a description and you gotta guess what the movie is. Some of them are very obscure. Here is an address for the magazine.

http://divermag.com/

I also did a search for “history of diving in the movies” on their site and pulled up all the articles

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-...o-8859-1&sp-q=hystory+of+diving+in+the+movies

It is really fun and obscure!

GrierHPharmD:
Does anybody else remember this series? It was my first exposure to scuba diving (I picked up Sea Hunt on re-runs later.), and I was amazed not only by the diving, but by all of the cool mini-subs and DPVs that the lead character used.

Primus (Metromedia Producers Corporation Television Series for first-run syndication, Color, 1971-72)

Starring: Robert Brown as Carter Primus, Will Kuluva as Charlie Kingman, Eva Renzi as Toni Hyden

A SEA HUNT Copy-Cat. An example of a revival of the SEA HUNT concept.

Scuba Guy Summary © 2004 Bill Jones: Marine Scientist, Ecologist, Oceanographer, Frogman, and Underwater Cop Carter Primus fights crime and sharks. The series was filmed on location in Key Biscayne and later moved to Miami to cut production costs. Tors showed viewers new scientific developments that ocean explorers were using at that time. Among the gadgets Primus used were an underwater robot called Big Kate, a little exploration and photography sub called Pegasus, and a runabout sea sled. Syndicated affiliates were unimpressed and Primus was cancelled after 27 episodes.

Many fans believe Primus could have been the modern replacement for SEA HUNT.

I found the above blurb on an interesting website dedicated to Sea Hunt trivia.
http://home.houston.rr.com/thescubaguy/News/SeaHuntLegacy.html

-G

This brought back some fond memories for me. Some of my earliest exposure to scuba was through Primus. I've looked on the internet for links to it, but it seems there are none. The Seahunt series was a little before my time, and though I enjoyed it too (the acting was much better), it just didn't have the wizz-bang tech of Primus...there was one episode that stands out in my mind that featured a rebreather with a computer controlling variable gas mixes for different depths (forerunner of the hammerhead?). It was "borrowed" by some students who promptly got themselves in serious trouble with it and had to get rescued by Primus.

Another series I don't see listed was "Flipper". Bud was always being rescued from his latest harebrained treasure hunting scuba sceme by his dad (Ranger Ricks) and brother Sandy after Flipper came and alerted them to the situation.

Scubaguy62:
Jaws the Revenge
The Firm (only a short clip)
Licensed to Kill
The Core (another short clip)
The Spy Who Loved Me
Tomorrow Never Dies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom