Most desirable Scubapro 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could have meant a bent adjustment knob shaft...I've seen a couple of the older knurled non-counter bored shafts a bit bent if they take a hard knock. Most straighten out OK...

Could be. Those can be easily gotten too, or replaced with a G250/Graphite or a new metal G250v knob.

S600 & G260

The 109, and inclusive of the transitional G-Series of "improvements", excepting the G250HP (over engineered), and I have no opinion of the G260. I love the 109/156, nothing beats the big old hunk of brass. I dive cold water regularly, and the massive heat sink is perfect. The all brass body is rugged, and really aids the reduction of dry mouth.

The 108 HP is another great one. The removable orifice makes it a "forever" stage as it isn't trashed if someone screws up a service. Simplicity (cheap) of service adds to he allure. Earlier and later variants just don't thrill me.

Air1 & Pilot - Amazing breathers, but becoming a parts nightmare, and tricky to service.

D-Series - Again, fantastic breathers, kits available to keep them going, but still a challenge...

Love them all!

Attachments

• 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 47
I don't need more regulators, I don't need more regulators, I don't need more regulators....

FWIW, having 2 of those already, someone else should enjoy them.

I spent 2 days this week in class getting certified as a ScubaPro Pro Tech.

I recognize the limitations of classroom learning as compared to actually doing the work, so I have no illusions about "knowing it all" now. I take it as yet another license to learn.

I had read this thread prior to class starting on Tuesday, so I took an opportunity to ask the instructor about the BA versus the modern stuff. Specifically, he was showing me some different air tubes and how their newer ones have a bigger exhaust port (not the right term, but the term he used is just off the tip of my tongue right now - the port in the air tube that delivers gas into the body of the 2nd stage). He said the bigger port delivers gas at a slower velocity than the older tubes did, that had a smaller port. He said they had to make the port bigger to slow down the gas, "dumbing down" the reg, for some reasons related to meeting EU standards.

When he said that, I responded with "so, is that why so many people say that they like the way an old BA breathes better than the newer regs?"

He said that the newer stuff (e.g. G260) breathes way better than the BA. I think he claimed something like 30 - 40% better. He said one big reason for that is that the newer 2nds have a much bigger exhaust port (i.e. mushroom valve) which makes a large contribution to overall lower WOB.

So, now I've heard the academic answer. What is the "real" answer? Do you all that prefer the old BA prefer it because you feel it breathes more nicely than a G260? If so, what is the explanation behind that? If not, what is the reason you prefer a BA?

the g260 does have a lower WOB on an ANSTI machine, but the BA is already low enough the difference is not as noticeable as long as the regs are tuned similarly. the dry mouth difference is noticeable on long dives for the 109/156.

the g260 does have a lower WOB on an ANSTI machine, but the BA is already low enough the difference is not as noticeable as long as the regs are tuned similarly. the dry mouth difference is noticeable on long dives for the 109/156.

And the dry mouth difference is from having a metal body? So, would you not prefer an A700 (metal body + lower WOB)?

Now I want even more to get this rebuit and take it diving to compare to the legend and b2.
15182013578111376001208.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom